Is it unhealthy to use a petrol blower inside a large garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to do odd jobs for a block of flats. They want me to blow all the leaves away in the large underground garage underneath the flats. Probably parks about 15 cars. Would I suffer carbon monoxide poisoning.

Which Stihl blower is recommended? Spend no more than £200.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend the BG85.
I'd also recommend an electric machine in this situation, unless the park area is open at both ends!
John :)

I'd recommend the BG85.
I'd also recommend an electric machine in this situation, unless the park area is open at both ends!

You mean BG 86, right? There's no BG 85. I see it's got a vacuum attachment and gutter leaf blower ad ons. Looks good.

Sponsored Links
Sure, the 86 is the replacement for the 85 but its essentially the same machine......mine doesn't have the flared nozzle but rather a slightly tapered tube.
I cant comment on the Stihl vacuum attachment but blower vacs are fine if the leaf debris is dry, and hopeless if its wet. The bag gets heavy and unbalanced and any liquid sprays over your legs.
The gutter clean accessory is usually just a shaped pipe and works to some degree.
As a blower, the BG is easy to start, quiet and well balanced to hold - its a two stroke and therefore uses an oil mix.

the number of people killed by car exhaust fumes dropped dramatically after catalytic converters and electronic mixture controls became common.

petrol driven garden gadgets probably have neither.

Potty as it sounds when you consider the amount of fuel these things burn compared to the average car, the latest machines have their own ecu and cat converter.
The huge improvement is in the starting of the machine - no more sixth sense to determine what the engine needs. This has made a definite difference.

I've always wondered about the council guys who strip and blow the verges.
They have PPE for hearing and vision but stroll along all day in a cloud of exhaust gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back