Is it wise to leave boiler on throughout the day

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
Is it wise to leave the boiler on throughout the day, and when a thermostat calls for heat, then the circulating pump switches on and off accordingly.
Pros and cons of doing this??I'm guessing it will use more energy but would like to know people opinion on this... thanks

Sponsored Links
The boiler burns gas when there is a demand for central heating from whatever controls are on the system,timer/ programmer/ thermostat etc. The pump is controlled by the boiler.

Hi,
Is it wise to leave the boiler on throughout the day, and when a thermostat calls for heat, then the circulating pump switches on and off accordingly.
Pros and cons of doing this??I'm guessing it will use more energy but would like to know people opinion on this... thanks
That’s the norm. It’ll only use gas and electricity when it’s heating something. When it’s not, it’s all off automatically.

Hi,

Apart from when serviced, my present boiler has been constantly on for the past 2 and a half years. It's set to heat a tank of hot water daily, and provide heat when it gets cold, a little warmer during the occupied hours, a little cooler during the night hours. Why would I turn it off?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the replies. I should have mentioned it is an oil boiler. So essentially the boiler stays on and burns very little oil to keep it at that steady state.Once the thermostat calls for heat, then the pump switches on to heat the house.

Now how much oil does it use,if any, at that aforementioned steady state

And in my setup, pump and boiler are wired separately

Apart from when serviced, my present boiler has been constantly on for the past 2 and a half years. It's set to heat a tank of hot water daily, and provide heat when it gets cold, a little warmer during the occupied hours, a little cooler during the night hours. Why would I turn it off?
Leaving it on constantly will alway cost you more money.

Hi,
Use a timer so you can have it off when you are not or when you are in bed.

Hi,
The boiler is always 'on'. Do you mean "is it wise to leave your heating on throughout the day". That’s a different question to your original post. Obviously, no if you’re out all day but yes if you’re in all day and want to remain warm.

your boiler probably has a small heat store for your HW just leave it on, that is how it is designed to work

Thanks all for the replies. I should have mentioned it is an oil boiler. So essentially the boiler stays on and burns very little oil to keep it at that steady state.Once the thermostat calls for heat, then the pump switches on to heat the house.

What controls do you have? If you have a cylinder stat and a 3-port or two 2-port motorised valves, it won't use any oil if neither stat is calling.
If it's a very old system where there's live to the boiler (hopefully via a programmer) and the roomstat just starts the pump, it will use oil when the boiler is powered. The boiler will fire intermittently via the control-stat, and sitting in the flue it's in the ideal place to lose heat.

This all rather depends on the type of home and when you are in it.

Ours runs 24 x 7 BUT the programmable room stat alters the temperature to suit our work patterns.

If you are out all day, tuning it up when you get in means it has more to do to get to your desired temperature

Are you saying the burner runs even if the heating is turned off? What make & model is the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back