Is it wise to leave boiler on throughout the day

By on I mean if the thermostat calls for heat the boiler fires, which is a waste of fuel if out or in bed.

The 'setback' is 16C for when we are normally in bed. I can only remember the heating coming on once, because temperature in the house has dropped below 16C, over the years. Its there, and available to come on - in case the temperature does fall dramatically..

Sponsored Links
Our combi has never been set via the timer, we use the room stat as a controller.

She wot scowls at me wacks it down to the minimum setting when going up to bed. Wakes up in the morning, turns the dial up to max, turns it back down to min when leaving for work, and so on.

Any developments? If you answer the questions posed we might be able to help you.
Sorry for the late reply - i think i have figured it out for my setup - since my boiler and pump are controlled separately,i am using smartthings to only turn on the boiler if a zone calls for it, and the pump will also turn on based on that zone call for heat. thanks for all the comments - great discussion

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late reply - i think i have figured it out for my setup - since my boiler and pump are controlled separately,i am using smartthings to only turn on the boiler if a zone calls for it, and the pump will also turn on based on that zone call for heat. thanks for all the comments - great discussion
Sounds like you have a fairly sophisticated system , so you're not wasting oil like I was hinting in #12.
It comes down to whether it's more economical to leave it on all or most of the time, or via a programmer. I leave mine on 24/7 and I don't think it cost more than timed, which was an option when I was working. But it depends on your lifestyle and preferences.

Yeah its complex - everything controlled by WIFI switches which in turn control zones & boiler/switch on/off. But it works well... ;).
I didnt want the boiler to be firing up just to be on standby, when its needed its on,otherwise its off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back