Is it worth getting boiler serviced?

I agree a combi save may be a good idea..

really its a question of doing the maths...

yes gas is more expensive than water but preheat facilities now fire the boiler at minimum output for the preheat facility..

the actual figures I heard were from a boiler manufacture..ideal I think...

Sponsored Links
Combi save yeah 1000 quid to save pennies got to be one of most cost ineffective products out there.

Biggest mistake with combi installs is installer putting it where is convienent for them as opposed to what is best for main point of use

combi save costs about £70 plus vat...not £1000..

I think you are thinking of a gas saver!

Sponsored Links
Agile";p="2488521 said:
Better to let an engineer diagnose whats wrong.

Do you think you have more skills than the average engineer at diagnosis?

Of course not, I just don't want to get into a cycle of preventative maintenance on this boiler - if there's a couple of easy-ish things I can do to maintain (e.g. Clean h/e & diverter) I'll do that and wait til something actually fails before I call someone out.

You can turn on the hot tap at half flow until water is hot!

That does not cost anything!

A service is what the manual says. A FGA is not a service, nor is an operational check.

In my book, what the manual says, is minimum that should be done. If £60.00 gets the boiler serviced as per the manual, I will be hanging my U tube on the hook in the van and retire to bed with a good book :eek: .

Shame a good boiler has been neglected. You are no doubt paying for the neglect by using more gas (main heat exchanger gets blocked with sediment on the outside). Many defects are due to lack of proper care and attention. :rolleyes:

Of course not, I just don't want to get into a cycle of preventative maintenance on this boiler - if there's a couple of easy-ish things I can do to maintain (e.g. Clean h/e & diverter) I'll do that and wait til something actually fails before I call someone out.

By that time it will be too late.

Isn't that a bit melodramatic DP? ;)

As I said, I'd planned to scrap it (we wanted it moved and it was going to cost almost as much to move as to get a new one). A plumber also said it "didn't sound great" but a work-around means it no longer needs moved and it's lasted this long, so I'm prepared to coax it along, but not shelling out much on it.

If I'd been making 'service' calls, would a sediment on the h/e have been prevented? I have my doubts - more likely, a few checks (as mentioned above) and things just replaced outright instead of cleaned. But correct me if I'm wrong - can't the h/e be saved/cleaned?

Shame a good boiler has been neglected. You are no doubt paying for the neglect by using more gas (main heat exchanger gets blocked with sediment on the outside).

Whatever can be seen on the outside, there can be far worse hidden horrors inside!

So can't I just get the h/e replaced Agile?

There's nothing really wrong with the unit other than I suspect it might be inefficient - might just be her indoors and her nightly baths! :rolleyes: [/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back