Is it worth it to buy raised garden beds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved to my new apartment. Behind it is a small yard, and it seems like a good spot to do some gardening. Since the soil there isn’t that good, I’m planning to build some raised beds. My brother suggested that I get some from this raised bed kits UK seller. I saw that their offers are pretty good, but I was also considering building these on my own. Should I do this myself or getting ready-made ones is much better?

Sponsored Links
Depends if you have basic carpentry skills and the time to make your own.
If you enjoy woodworking then I would say make your own. Even if the cost of the materials comes to the price of a ready made one you will have the satisfaction of knowing you created it. There are plenty of web sites that give you free plans and measurements.

DIY! The quality will be so much better if you are able to do the job well and so much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
You could do it reasonably cheaply. I bought some scaffolding boards (had to have them delivered since 3m boards were too long to fit in the car). Hand saw to cut them to size. Flanged timber screws to hold them together. My boards were 225mm wide which I felt were wide enough but you could stack them and make some stakes. Some people use pressure treated timber, which is fine for flowers but some have recommended against them for vegetables. Pond liner stapled to the inside to help reduce moisture against wood to reduce rot.

Lots of videos on youtube especially on design. Only thing is timber is a lot more expensive in the UK than in USA.

Build them high!
I built a waist-high raised bed, and whilst it was more work to build and fill it, it makes life for a lazy gardener like me so much easier and more satisfying.

An elderly lady recently widowed and suffering from depression was given a new life by raised flower beds installed by a charity in her garden. They enabled her to look after her garden and this lifted her depression.

Build them high!
I built a waist-high raised bed, and whilst it was more work to build and fill it, it makes life for a lazy gardener like me so much easier and more satisfying.

I built one waist high for my wife as she is disabled but loves gardening. Used an old packing crate and put runners around the inside. Then put in a piece of 18mm buffalo board, (industrial grade ply), about 12" below the top, drilled some drainage holes and lined the inside with weed control to stop the soil washing through the holes. Stained the outside to match the rest of the garden fencing etc .She loves it and it suits the purpose perfectly.

Piece of cake, some fence posts, some reject decking boards, a saw and some screws. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back