Is MDF OK for Tiling over?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm going to Tile our Bathroom. The existing floor is T&G & I've boarded half of it out with 18mm Ply (on Top of the T&G), so it's really solid.

Question is, I've run out of Ply, but have a sheet of 18mm MDF. Will I be OK to use that?

Can the Tiles tell the difference? :LOL:

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
best go with the ply fella, if its one sheet its not expensive, use the mdf for fire wood

best go with the ply fella, if its one sheet its not expensive, use the mdf for fire wood

Thanks Jef

It wasn't so much the expense, I just have 2 8x4 sheets of 18mm MDF here & thought I'd get rid.

You obviously don't advise it.

mdf is very thick cardboard that will swell up when wet and loose its integral strength

Sponsored Links
Eeek, I'm hoping what I've already put down is WBP,
How do I tell?
It really has to be WBP (water & boil proof) or marine ply (even more expensive) as the glue used for ordinary ply is not waterproof. I don’t know how else you can tell except by the price, anyone else know?
it's nailed every 5 inches.
Make those screws instead.

Thanks Richard

I will add Screws.

Am I supposed to Seal the Ply before Tiling? I'm thinking I should make double sure it is sealed properly just in case the stuff I've already put down isn't WBP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back