Is my boiler working properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a conventional CH/HW system. F&E tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard (along with the pump, 3 port valve etc). Boiler is a Potterton Suprima 50.

Should the boiler be on until the desired temp as dictated by the room thermostat has been reached. I can set the room thermostat to full but the boiler still goes off, even though the temp has not been reached as when I turn down the thermostat it clicks around 23 degree mark. Sometimes also, it can take a very long time for the boiler to ignite once heat the thermostat has been turned up.

Occasionally my wife will crank the thermostat upto 30 degrees when she gets home from school with my daughter and then rushes out to gymnastics, leaving the thermostat at 30. When I get home a couple of hours later, the house is warm, but not HOT (and the boiler will not be on).

Sponsored Links
The boiler control will determine the flow temperature out of the boiler. Usually set about 2 oclock and give a flow of about 78°C.
The boiler will turn off when that temperature is reached.

It sounds as if your rads are rather undersized. You should try to improve your insulation! How thick is your loft insulation?

Tony

The boiler control will determine the flow temperature out of the boiler. Usually set about 2 oclock and give a flow of about 78°C.
The boiler will turn off when that temperature is reached.

It sounds as if your rads are rather undersized. You should try to improve your insulation! How thick is your loft insulation?

Tony

Hi, the temp knob on the boiler is set to approx two thirds. The loft insulation is approx 8" think and there is plenty of it. House is only 7 years old.

Sponsored Links
Thats well insulated then.

The rads may still be rather undersized though.

The top of the rads should be too hot to touch!

The two pipes from the boiler should be too hot to touch but one should be hotter than the other!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back