Is my crack serious?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'm selling my house and have this crack in one of the downstairs rooms. It's only in one of the rooms and is pretty much a straight line. At it's worse point, it has dropped about half of an inch as seen in pick 2.

The house is 13 years old and the crack appeared about 10 years without any drop and got worse about 4 years ago (no event, just noticed it one day).

Thanks
J.

Sponsored Links
:evil:
so not the pictures I was expecting...
false advertising..!!! :) ;)

what's dropped? the ceiling or the wall?

if it's the ceiling, can you push it back up?

they likely put the ceiling up with nails and not screws..

:evil:
so not the pictures I was expecting...
false advertising..!!! :) ;)

As soon as you put crack in any subject it sounds rude!

what's dropped? the ceiling or the wall?

if it's the ceiling, can you push it back up?

they likely put the ceiling up with nails and not screws..

I can't push the ceiling back up. I gave it a shove and nothing.

Does it look like the plaster board has dropped? The crack is very straight.

Would I need the whole room re-plastered?

Thanks
J

you said it dropped half an inch.. so i presumed you meant that one side of the crack was lower than the other..

if it's pretty solid and won't puch back up, then it's more serious than a dropped piece of plasterboard..

time to get the floorboards up above to see what's going on..

Sponsored Links
I am not a builder, but i do not see things in the same light as ColJack.

This crack looks so obviously like a pb -pulling-away-from the-wall-crack i.e. pretty straight and long - that I find it difficult to envisage it as anything else.

As you say you suddenly noticed it got worse 4 years ago. Maybe a bit of plaster drpped off the wall and made the crack look bigger ?

As you say you suddenly noticed it got worse 4 years ago. Maybe a bit of plaster drpped off the wall and made the crack look bigger ?

There was no depth to the crack originally, I thought it was just a bit of settling in a new house.

The simple answer is no, it is not serious. What you've got there is a standard crack which is following the edge of the plasterboard sheet. Most likely due to poor detailing of the plasterboard, which is maybe nailed not screwed. Or not enough screws. Or wrong size/type screws. Or poor finishing of the joint tape. Or no joint tape. Or wrong joint tape. Whatever, you get the idea. Anyways, it's not good, but it's not serious.

That hideous pattern is more likely to attract attention than the crack - get a £ to have it skimmed over and then cove the join ;)

The simple answer is no, it is not serious. What you've got there is a standard crack which is following the edge of the plasterboard sheet. Most likely due to poor detailing of the plasterboard, which is maybe nailed not screwed. Or not enough screws. Or wrong size/type screws. Or poor finishing of the joint tape. Or no joint tape. Or wrong joint tape. Whatever, you get the idea. Anyways, it's not good, but it's not serious.

That's what i would say too Jeds, looks as if someone has maybe put up the sheet of plasterboard on the ceiling "after" the walls were boarded, then filled up the gap along the edge with filler, and never taped it in. The artex does nothing for it either, as Nige says.

Crack now gone. Many thanks for all the replies.

The plaster board on the ceiling was resting on the walls plasterboard that wasn't straight and then nailed into the joists. Where there had been some settling the crack started to appear.

I had the ceiling plaster removed up to the second joist and reboarded and the whole thing skimmed. No more artex!

Just got to sell the house now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back