Is this crack serious - photo supplied

20 Jul 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My house is a 1960's 3 bed detached. Upstairs in the spare room the internal wall has a crack which runs from the ceiling down the corner of the wall, across to the window, then down the centre of the window recess to the window sill.

When I purchased the house 12 years ago I replastered and decorated, however over the years the crack has re-appeared. Redecorating is now due again, but I am concerned that the crack is worse and would appreciate some advice from someone who knows about such things before I patch it up again.

The crack is approximately below the centre of the gable end where an internal wall that separates the bathroom from the bedroom joins the outside wall.

At it's widest point the crack is 1mm but it also makes a step in that in one section the plaster has moved forward of the section above.

The outside brick wall shows no sign of any cracking or damage.

As it's a 1960's house, the majority of the wall is taken up by windows with just this central bit of wall in the centre. A similar but less spectacular crack can be found in the bathroom the other side of the internal wall

Here's a photograph of the crack, it's not so visible where the wall is ragrolled (now you know why I'm redecorating!)

Thanks in anticipation
Sponsored Links
the crack is not serious, quite ordinary and fairly typical.

the frilly flowery that's another matter.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local