Is my heating working properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for opinions on the following please.

I live in a housing association house, built 1860’s but fully refurbished two years ago, taken back to the brick shell and fully modernised. Problem is with heating the living room which is very cold, typically 14 degrees when I get up in the morning, I have Hive installed and the thermostat is in this room. I set the temperature on the hive to 21 and it typically takes 3-4 hours of continuous burn on the boiler to reach the set temperature, does this sound right? For my wife and I this makes the room unusable for that 3-4 hour period because it’s just too cold. I haven’t had GCH before so nothing to compare this to so just looking for opinions before I take this to my landlords. The room in question is 3.5m x 3.7m with a ceiling height of 2.8m, there is one radiator fitted under the window which does get hot after the boiler has been on for about 15-20 minutes but makes little impact on the room temp. The boiler is a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28 and runs 8 radiators. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
If the rad is hot, but the room takes that long to heat up then the rad is too small.

The boiler is plenty big enough.

Search the forum for the Vaillant code d.0 or read the manual and set that parameter on the boiler to something like 12 and see if that improves things.

Thanks for the reply Dan. Would that be the water temperature setting in the boiler you're referring to? If so it's set to its maximum of 75 degrees C. The radiator in question gets sufficiently hot that I can't hold my hand against it and the TRV is turned to its maximum setting of 5

It's the power output of the boiler and stops many problems with boiler cycling, which you may or may not have.

It's just an easy to do (and reverse) thing that could improve things for you. However, it does sound like the rad is too small.

Sponsored Links
I'll try and find the setting you refer to and report back, thanks again

Update: Tried the advice above and nothing has changed so I’m inclined to believe radiator size is the issue, now to try and get my landlords to do something about it. Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back