radiators not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 radiators in my living room and the thermostat is set at 20. My one radiator is on number 4 and i have no problems with it but at the other end of the room the radiator on same number keeps going cold before the thermostat has turned heating off if i turn it up to 5 it comes on is this normal and if not what could it be.

Sponsored Links
When it does come on does it get nice and hot all over?
If so rules out a flow problem

You can sit a thermostat on the valve to see what the temp is when it goes cold and do you have anything in front of rad that can conain heat like a rad cover or sofa ect

if the wall stat is in the same room as the rads with trv's they will play against each other.
rooms with wall stats fitted don't useally have trv's on the rads.

Sponsored Links
My one radiator is on number 4 and i have no problems with it
Do you means that this rad never goes cold? Rads with TRVs are supposed to go cold!

When the TRV reaches the set temperature it closes the valve, so no more water will flow through the rad; the rad will then cool down. When the temp in the room has dropped a few degrees the TRV will open the valve and the rad will start to heat up again.

If the TRV on this rad is never closing down it could mean that the rad needs balancing.

at the other end of the room the radiator on same number keeps going cold before the thermostat has turned heating off if i turn it up to 5 it comes on.
Sounds as if this stat is behaving as it should.

You say the thermostat is set to 20C. 4 on many TRVs is also about 20C, so there is a danger that the wall stat may shut down before the TRV operates. It might be better to set the wall stat to, say, 21C.

Thanks for all of that it makes sense, from what you said i think its me thinking something is wrong and it is working as it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back