Is my lighting circuit legal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here folks so please be gentle with me...

I have just moved into a new build house and have replaced a couple of light switches with dimmers and a couple of ceiling roses with new fittings. My 'problem' is this....

I know that lights are generally wired using the Loop-in, Junction Box, or a mixture of both systems. BUT when I opened any of my roses there are only two cables....one flex for the light pendant and a T&E from the switch. In the switch there are the live and switch cables to the switch terminals, and the neutrals and earths are connected into terminal blocks.

Is it legal to make these joints in the switch box or has this been done to save some time/hassle? I was under the impression that the joint had to be in the rose or a junction box.....or is this only best working practise?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable happening more and more with the use of downlights :evil:

Crafty said:
Is my computer legal?

Is my chair legal?

Is my desk legal?

No, Crafty, so you should destroy them all immediately.

Sponsored Links
<runs out and gets petrol grinder from shed>

Bugger its out of petrol. :LOL:

probably. its not actually ours, its a neighbour's. my dad just never gave it back. we're storing it for him. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back