Is my new gully/drainage ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage roof has always just drained directly on to the ground through the downpipe, it has never been connected to any drain or soakaway. As I'm getting a new driveway done in a few weeks I decided to connect it up to the existing rainwater drain. There is a gully connected to the original drains (clayware, 1900 property) about 2m away so this was the easiest connection point.

I have connected everything up but wanted to double check I haven't done anything wrong before I make it permanent. My only really concern is how close the drainage is to the surface - generally about 30-40mm under the existing ground height. Is there any issue with this? It is not on the main driveway so will only ever see foot traffic, no vehicles will be going over it.

I was constrained on the depth by the original connection point, which was where a gully connected into the main drain line. I cut it back as far as I could go, and already pushing it as I am just hitting a bend which isn't ideal for the adaptor connection. My only other option would be to excavate down and back some distance, and possibly have to cut in to the main drain line which is something I really wanted to avoid doing as it is a lot more work.

Appreciate your thoughts on this - am I ok with the depth??

20220604_122704.jpg

20220604_122648.jpg

Sponsored Links
Apart from being a wee bit shallow, not much fall and the fact that it is not really going with the flow - it should be ok.

Apart from being a wee bit shallow, not much fall and the fact that it is not really going with the flow - it should be ok.
I'm not sure how much of that is sarcasm :LOL:

I've got a fall of 1 in 60 over the length which I assumed was ok. I see what you mean about not going with the flow, but I was a bit limited with options - the drain runs under a 1930s extension after that gully so couldn't really go anywhere else. It is just a small garage roof going through it so hopefully it will be able to cope.

I ended up breaking the clay whilst trying to hammer out some of the old concrete so have cut further back again and managed to get myself an extra 50mm depth or so for the pipe

20220604_153737.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back