Is my plasterer cutting corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having some external rendering done on my property. The renderer has started beading the brickwork and putting on scratch coat, however he is not nailing the beading to the brickwork just using the sand/cement mix to act as an adhesive. Is this cutting corners? Will the beading be more likely to shift away from the house, crack etc if it is not nailed on? Is he rushing the job or is this acceptable? Help! He's only just started so I have not paid yet.

Sponsored Links
a few nails are going to make naff all difference to the strength of the corners.

I've never done external rendering but if it's anything like internal plastering there is no set method, I've used all sorts from clout nails to grab adhesive to attach the beads, so long as they stay in position for the duration of the plastering and are straight it's not important how they are fixed.

I use whatever method i can to fix beads ,sometimes you cannot get a fixing with nails and you have to stick them with muck
It will be fine once it has gone off

bedding beads with render is the traditional method and is also the best method, there is no need for nails or screws your plasterer is doing things right there is no need to panic :)

Sponsored Links
Not only is he fixing them properly, but it is more likely that he knows how to render if he is using sand and cement to stick them. By this I mean he is able to use the correct material for external works and is not resorting to having to use multi finish. board adhesive etc, as a lot of people who struggle with rendering do.

Great - thanks all. As the job is progressing the standard of his work looks pretty good. Appreciate you views.

Nige F";p="1688844 said:
Yeah But - are they stainless steel beads :idea: ;)[/quote

Stainless steal only needs to be used in areas were their is likley to be sea spray ie high salt content in the rain etc.if that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back