Window trim stuck over corner beads in window reveal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a tricky little problem that I'm not quite sure how to resolve.

I'm replacing 9.5mm p/board with 12.5mm foil backed board in a timber framed external wall. The only issue is that at the edge of the window reveal the metal corner bead has been partially covered by a plastic quadrant fitted round the UPVC windows (adhesive backed and siliconed in place). Essentially the metal corner bead is now trapped under this plastic quadrant. Ideally I don't really want to have to mess around with the windows - even though it's only superficial trim.

Is it likely that the corner bead would be nailed to the timber frame (underneath the p/board) or is beading just nailed on the face of the plaster board?

I wondered if I can ease out the 9.5mm p/board leaving the corner bead in situ, then gently bend it back so that it's just behind the edge of the plastic trim before fitting the new board and new edge bead. Bodge? Moi??!!

Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Beads are either stapled nailed or stuck on with plaster in either case once u bend a bead its hard to get it back in shape even if you did your 12.5 board wouldn't fit in the slot left by a 9.5 mm board its not a hard job to take it all off and redo

Hi Steve, Thanks for the quick reply.

When you say take it off, do you mean the window trim before taking out the existing bead? Then replacing all?

Sponsored Links
Yes take it all off replace the lot take the trim off u may be able to save that if u take it off carefully replace the board then put new bead back up then finish show us some pics of what ur doing if u need further help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back