Is my pump really working....??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No doubt this has been asked plenty of times, please excuse my ignorance in not finding a suitable thread on this so far.

Vented central heating and hot water system, Y plan, Grundfos Selectric 15-50 circulating pump....

Boiler (glow worm) making some knocking and banging noises.

My plan was to: Drain down and introduce Sentinel X800 Jetflo directly into the system, run for an hour or so, then drain down again, before refilling and adding Sentinel X200 descaler and running that for a couple of weeks (I know it may be run indefinitely), then drain once again, refill and add a standard inhibitor, such as X100.
However, after intially firing, with the cleanser added, the boiler locked out, and I noticed that whilst there was heat in the initial 22mm length of boiler flow pipework, as it progressed closer to the pump, the pipe got colder, with no sign of heat before or after the pump. Pump body running hot, but cold pipework either side of it. Am I correct in assuming pump failure? It's whirring, but ideally I'd like tangible evidence it's pumping, or not, before I go and replace it.
System was powerflushed about 6 years ago.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Mike

Sponsored Links
The pump is empty, if you keep running it empty it will burn out then it will be broken!!!!!! Bleed the pump or idealy find the RV35 in the cylinder cupboard and open that till water comes out. search RV35 in google if you dont know what to look for

Oh and the boiler overheated as the pipework is airlocked thats why it went off

The pump is empty, if you keep running it empty it will burn out then it will be broken!!!!!! Bleed the pump or idealy find the RV35 in the cylinder cupboard and open that till water comes out. search RV35 in google if you dont know what to look for

oy smug ass it's a diyer your talking to yer not in the CC now ;)

now tell im what it is :idea:

ha ha me smug noooooooooooo. Just trying to help, RV35 is a air vent used to bleed the boiler flow and returns it will be on a vertical section of the pipework (usually 15mm) in the cylinder cupboard supposedly at the highest point. It is brass and will have a flat head screwdriver slot used to open it. Open it slightly till water comes out.

Might even be two, look either side of the 3 way valve above the pump

Sponsored Links
Ta muchly, I did that already. Yep there are two RV35s, both on vertical 15mm pipework, though one of 'em hasn't got the slotted head to it. Bleed screw on the pump was also loosened, a little water came out of the pump but that's all.

Give the pump body a little knock to dislodge any debris, maybe?

Update on this....I re-checked the pump bleed valve, and re-checked the RV35 bleed points. Power off, pump bleed valve removed and checked for easy rotation of pump spindle. Free as a bird. Power on, spindle is rotating like a good 'un. But, pump is faintly buzzing and its body soon gets warm, although there's no hot water anywhere near it. After a very short period of banging and clattering, the boiler locks out, and there's a lot of venting going on up in the loft. Anything else I can finally check before I lob this thing out of my window and fork out for a replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

Are you sure there's water in it?

Sounds to me like its running dry, blocked cold feed maybe? try draining a bit of water out and as its running check the header tank is refilling.

I think I have just had this problem (sounds EXACTLY like my initial issue)

crack the top pump nut on the gate valve and see if any water comes out (I actually removed the pump completely and opened the top pump gate valve to fully open and still did not get any water come out) - if no water you have a blocked feed from the F&E tank and/or the 4 way copper bottle doohickey (dunno what it's called but from your pics I have the same deal & it was also blocked)

Lez

Good call boys, that's my next move - remove the pump and see what comes out of the gate valve on the suction side when I carefully re-open it. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks,

Mike

Update on this, and a fault found. So, it is with profound embarrassment I admit that, to test the flow leg from the f & e wasn't blocked, I drained down, then removed the pump from the flow pipework, as well as the 3-port immediately above it. Then I fabricated a basic length of pipe in its place, terminating over a large receptacle.
A slow fill of the f & e followed, and the plan was to check there was a free flow down the 22mm copper flow and out over the receptacle. A reasonably good plan I thought, and it started that way, proving that the pump wasn't being starved at least.
But, yours truly hadn't capped the remaining open ends of the heating/hot water and bypass legs once the 3-port had been removed, so.....loads of sparkling water started to find its way out of those other 3 open ends.
Lucky I can decorate....hehe.
Anyway, the fault...
A jammed impeller. Spindle was being driven, but the impeller wasn't.

So, very well done KEVPLUMB, you were spot on in your diagnosis.
Hope this is useful to others.

Mike

aye i'm not bad for a nupty installer :LOL:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

howay only need another 2 :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back