Is my roofer pulling the wool over my eyes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new roof put on with marley flat tiles. new membrane battens etc.

There the flashing at the sloping side of the chimney seems do run under this tiles. When I questioned my roofer about this he said it was correct. Is there method to do it like this or is he having me on?

Also there is a row of tiles with a much bigger overlap than the others in the middle of one of the roof sides. Any possible reasons why this might be?

Finally there is no overlap with wall at the back of the outrigger, is this normally required? The brick work in this area was in poor condition and the subsequent mortaring is looks very messy. I've suggested fitting a dry verge to give an overhang and some fascia to cover up the mortar. However the roofer did not seem keen as he has cut all the battens down to fit the dry verge to. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Hi. It can do done in this fashion, if using a secret valley, but if in an area where leaves are abundant in the autumn there not such a good idea. Hoever it is normal to form cover flashing with these type of tile, in some areas of the country individual cover flashing to each tile is used in other parts continuous. Good Luck

As already stated on flat tiles (even interlocking), You can use a secret gutter system (under tiles) or commonly even a soaker system in conjunction with a stepped flashing. In both cases the working lead detailing is under the tiles , not over.

Regarding the extra tile overlap (head lap) sounds like he has messed up his setting out.. This is incompetent and shoddy..... but water proof..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back