Is my Vaillant 831 operating correctly?

D

Dazed14

Hi
I've recently had a Vaillant 831 installed and while it seems to be working fine I'm not too sure if it's working as it should, I'll explain.

When the system is cold from overnight, the bolier fires up, burner goes all the way up and then immediately drops to minimum burner level. After 1.5-2.0mins the burner fires up to around 75-80%.

If the heating cycle is interrupted at all, like the water being run or the programmer turning off and on, then when it fires back up it does the same thing (fires up and drops to minium) but then takes around 6mins to fire up fully. It then has this (lag) every time it fires down-up.

Does that seem right? I've never had a condensing boiler before so maybe this is how they work. Would just like to know for sure.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not because its a condensing boiler! Its the design!

Its meant to be learning how best to provide you with heating! That can take over a week.

These are quite new on the market and most installers dont fully understand how they try to do it yet.

If you really dont like it then it can be put back into a semi manual mode!

But they say its best to let it get on with what its designed to do!

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for reply. I think you're right, the installer made a great job of fitting it but admitted he wasn't sure about setting it up, a shame as he was an "advanced Vaillant Installer" that's all they fit. The morning after it was fitted it took nearly 25mins to start properly, and then only fired to 20%, not ideal. A vaillant engineer came and altered a few things, one of them being the KW output? from auto to 24KW, if that makes sense. We have a 4 bed detached house.
The reason I've asked the question is with regard to "chrono proportional" and the (lag) as they seem to interfere with each other. I have called vaillant, they weren't very helpful but did say that the boiler should fire straight away (bangs head on wall) and are saying I need another Engineer visit!

Don't know what to think any more. What would semi manual mode mean in reality? Maybe I should ask them to do that.

You have not said how long it has been working for now.

My advice is to persevere with it and see if it get better.

I don't know but I wonder if even the Vaillant staff engineers are not as familiar with them yet as one would hope! It seems their customer help has not inspired you will a lot of confidence!

We are told the design is very good! Bypassing the clever systems is not giving it any chance!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant has been in and running for a little over a week now.

As I said before it does appear to my untrained eye, to be working ok. Really I am just seeking some assurance that is is working as it should because between the installer, the engineer and customer help I'm really not sure. It's very frustrating being told different stories.
Obviously it works in a completely different way to any boiler I've ever had dealings with, which isn't that many.
Despite my "moaning" I have to say that it does seem to keep the temperature very stable with the CP on 3 cycles/hour. I changed it from 6 because it just seemed to switch on so often, It doesn't overshoot or undershoot as with the old system, that has to be good.

So, I'm going to take your advice, sit back, have a beer and wallow in my 7year warranty!

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back