Is Planning needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Im just about to purchase a property which has a single garage from a property with a double garage.

On the New property the garage is built into the front of the house into the garden as the house is on a hill. Therefore its at a sub level if you like. It has a concrete roof with decking on top and to the left is a zig zagged staircase.

What i want to do is to make the staircase straight to the far left and extend the garage over to make a triple garage if you like. From the outside there is no difference as it will remain under the existing level of the boundary wall, its simply an extension to make better use of the front and to provide better stairs and bin storage etc.

The Entrance to the extension will be through the existing garage door as its a storage extension not to store extra cars etc so no extra or bigger doors are needed to the existing profile.

Any advice would be greatful, i have searched through the government outbuildings notes and the only thing that throws me off is this is at the front of the house so in front of the front elevation but its an extension to an existing outbuilding.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
The resultant structure (i.e. the enlarged garage in totality) would need to comply with the restrictions to constitute permitted development.

If the garage is sited in front of the dwelling, any alterations or extensions to the garage will require planing permission.

^^ Your last paragraph and napoleons are right, If it's in front of the house, any alterations / extensions you want to make to it are going to require a planning application.

Sponsored Links
..... or assuming it's the principle elevation, and not necessarily facing the street.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back