Is planning permission required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my house the dinning room, kitchen and kitchen utility room are all separate, i'm planning to knock them all into 1 big dinning kitchen. To do this I need to remove 2 interior walls.

How can I tell if these walls are load bearing or not? one of the walls runs the opposite way from the floor and ceiling joists, both the walls needing removed are wooden frames with plasterboard, all interior walls in the house are constructed this way. The house is a bungalow.

If these walls are not load bearing, do I need planning permission to remove them?

I've added some drawings so you can see what I mean as i'm not too good at explaining things, as you can see the living room is the same size as the area I want to create which makes me think there shouldn't be a problem regarding load bearing walls...

What I have now....
View media item 22926

What I want to do....
View media item 22927

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi mikazza, planning permission will not be required (regardless of whether the walls are load bearing or not) unless the house is listed.

I'm 99% sure from what you've drawn and said that those walls are non supporting partitions. Can you add / list the dimensions of the joists (e.g. 50mm*175mm) and the rooms? Are the joists in the kitchen / dining room the same size as those in the living room? Do the joists in the kitchen / dining room span the whole width?

Hi Hotrod,

Thanks for your reply, the Ceiling joists are 9.5cm * 3.5cm, I cant get under the floor at the moment but I know the ones under there are a lot bigger, just a guess but i'd say about 15cm * 5cm.

The joists span the whole width in both rooms are all are the same size, under the floor there is also little brick walls running the opposite way from the joists and the joists sit on top of these.

The living room is
5m 36cm (along the length of the joist) * 4m 35cm (across the joists)

The kitchen area without walls would be
5m 36cm (along the length of the joist) * 4m 65cm (across the joists)

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back