Is Power Flushing a DIY job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My heating system is not functioning properly, a couple of rads don't heat up. initially I thought it was down to a faulty Thermostatic valve, however after removing the valve finding a load of rusty gunge in the water I think it is actually a sludge problem.
Power flushing would seem to be the answer.

Is this something a competent DIY'er can do?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Depending on your 'DIY' competence, yeah sure you could but make sure you know what you're doing first by reading up on it.

Google it I'm sure there must be some stuff out there on it.

adamb4321 said:
Hi,

My heating system is not functioning properly, a couple of rads don't heat up. initially I thought it was down to a faulty Thermostatic valve, however after removing the valve finding a load of rusty gunge in the water I think it is actually a sludge problem.

Thanks in advance

Have already replied to this but unfortunately it was removed by Kevplumb (Mod2)

So I will try to reply again & if it is removed again I shall inform Admin@diynot & see if we cannot get this clown banned from being a Mod. Give the details on your system (combi or open vented) do you have a hot water cylinder? & we`ll take it from there ;)

Sponsored Links
load of rusty gunge in the water I think it is actually a sludge problem.
No its not sludge if its rusty looking. Sludge is black!
What you have there is an air ingress problem.
A powerflush may or may not be necessary. Sort out the air problem first.

adamb4321 said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

what do you inteprate as rusty gunge? is the colour actually rust coloured, red, or darker

edit...used spellchcker what happened?

Hi again,

The sytem is open vented with a water cylinder the pipe work is microbore and the house is around 7yrs old and I have lived in it for the last three. The offending rad is in the downstairs toilet and has never worked, I had assumed it was a thermostatic rad valve that had stuck but on removal the valve operates ok, on the other end of the rad is a drain cock, with the TRV closed i get no water flow from the drain cock at all (i'm assuming something should come out?)
As for the colour of the water that came out of the offending rad, thick rust in suspension would be the best description.
Since "having a look" at this rad one upstairs has done the same, i'm guessing some of the sludgfe has shiftedf around the sytem.

As for air in the system, all the rads have been bled and all were ok.

Regards

Adam

Draining your rad at a drain point & getting no water out usually means your drain valve is knackered, Slug has a point & is quite correct but rust leads to a sludge build up, if your rads are rusting then they are being corroded internally which will lead to build up of sludge etc. You need a Powerflush. you may need to look at your pipewwork configuration also, if it`s sucking in air you may have to have pipework adjusted ;)

Hi again,

thanks for all the replies!
I've had a look at the Kamco website and read the detialed instructions, whilst I'm sure I could do it there are a few things that are contradictory in the instructions.
What i have done is added sentinal x400 to the system and run it for a week and manually flushed the system today. The water was very rusty, I have managed to get heating output from all the rads except one, which is much cooler than the rest. I've removed it and flushed it through with a hose pipe (loads of black sludge) but it still doesn't get as hot.
I've read the FAQ section and followed the advise there (shutting of all rads apart from that one etc) but this hasn't helped, what else can I do, presumably the flow or return pipe is partially clogged too?

regards

Adam

well here is an idea, pay someone who is trained and competent to do it and who will gve you a guarantee after its done?

failing that hire a bloody machine and do it properly

I have managed to get heating output from all the rads except one, which is much cooler than the rest. I've removed it and flushed it through with a hose pipe (loads of black sludge) but it still doesn't get as hot.
Bet you never thought to run some water through the valves at either end when you had the rad off?
My bet is that when you stick a hose on the LSV end and open the valve that you will either clear the blockage or at least prove that there is a blockage in the pipe that leads to it.
Dont run too much off in one go. If the expansion tank empties you could let air in again causing more problems. If water flows from both ends and you still have a problem getting the rad hot then it is possible that the rad is rusted up solid inside due to all the fresh air its been getting.

Bamber gaspipe said:
adamb4321 said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Have already replied to this but unfortunately it was removed by Kevplumb (Mod2)

So I will try to reply again & if it is removed again I shall inform Admin@diynot & see if we cannot get this clown banned from being a Mod. Give the details on your system (combi or open vented) do you have a hot water cylinder? & we`ll take it from there ;)

so inform admin then :LOL: :LOL:
and shurrup whining

Bamber gaspipe said:
rust leads to a sludge build up, if your rads are rusting then they are being corroded internally which will lead to build up of sludge etc.
This is nearly correct. Sludge, aka black sludge, aka black gunge, is Magnatite, which is an oxide of iron, but is not rust. A system in an advanced state of corrosion will tend to have both, but either is wholly undesirable and will lead to impaired performance and premature breakdowns.

adamb4321 said:
I have managed to get heating output from all the rads except one, which is much cooler than the rest. I've removed it and flushed it through with a hose pipe (loads of black sludge) but it still doesn't get as hot.
If there was Magnatite in the rad then it's likely that the pipes to/from it are partially blocked, so it won't get as hot as it should. There is why power flushing the system is beneficial.

You could consider a Heath-Robinson method of flushing, which is to provide cold mains input and run the water off from each rad valve in turn (i.e. remove each rad in turn) - this will flush out the pipework.

It occurs to me that on a drained system it would be interesting to attach a length of 15mm hepworth to the mains (temporariy via a dcv) and join it into the top of each rad in turn and flush the mothers that way, opening one valve at a time alternately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back