Is render the best background for shower/bath tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bath is out. The old tiles are off. The first 3 feet up from where the bath was is sand and cement. A bit rough with old tile adhesive, but generally sound. Last 4 feet up to ceiling is plaster. Presumably lime plaster, as it's a 1920s house. Painted with a few bits of skim flaked off and a couple of 'hollow' sections.

I'm 52. I'm putting an expensive bath in. It'll have an over-bath shower above it. I don't EVER want to do any of this again. I want to do this job once, as well as it possibly can be. I can't stand this permanent house 're-modelling' that seems to be the way these days. In 50 years when I'm pushing up daisies I want my son/daughter to be still using that bath without any leaks.

Although I'm doing the plumbing myself, I'll employ a plasterer and a tiler, as those jobs affect the finish.

Should I get this wall re-rendered? Should I ask the plasterer to add waterproofer, if so what? And what tanking product before tiling, if any?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any decent tiler will do the prepping. Plasterers are only interested in getting a smooth finish. What the tiler needs is a perfectly flat finish.

If the substrate is sound and very flat - tile straight onto it.

you have imo 2 options
what type/size/..weight are the tiles you plan on fixing.

render will take 32kg per m2.

12.5mm cementbased backerboard the walls out(45kg + per m2)

what will be more cost affective for you?speak to your tile fixer first mate.
and as above the tilefixer should be able to render/screed(floor)/plaster the walls for you,its part of his/her job, ;) its called wall and floor preperation ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back