Shower/bath tiles coming off the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bathroom was renovated just over a year ago and I am now experiencing a problem with the tiling over the bath.

A new bathroom suite and over-the-bath shower (not a power shower), were fitted.
Additionally, because it is a Victorian house which needed attention, when the old tiles were removed, most of the plaster also same off.
As a result, the room was re-plastered and re-tiled.

However, I recently noticed that some of the grouting above the bottom layer of tiles was coming loose. This is at the other end of the bath from the shower and virtually no water gets on that area.
The problem has now spread along that row of tiles and when I tap them, I can fell that they're loose - and therefore need to be replaced.

Whilst trying to find any possible leaks which might have caused the problem, I noticed that when the shower runs, a small amount of water leaks under the shower screen 'post' (which is fixed to the wall), down the edge of the bath panel and underneath it.

I noticed there was water coming form this area a while ago, but didn't realise it was because silicon sealant had not been applied. Anyway, since then I have bunged it with tissue on the outside, to soak up the water and only occasionally noticed that any was reaching the floor.

What I need advice on, is whether or not a small, but regular amount of water under the bath, might cause sufficient damp for the tiling to come away. This leak is also at the other end of the bath to where the tiling started becoming loose.

Or is it likely that I have a leak from the taps or bath waste trap?
There are no water stains on the ceiling below and the outside wall is not damp.
There are no other leaks around the bath/tiling join and the shower does not aim onto the tiling.

I really don't want to remove the bath panelling, as it's pinned to a frame and will get broken.

I've attached a photo of the affected tiles.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I'm concerned that if I just replace the tiles and fix the known leak, I may just get the problem all over again.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Who did the refurb? They should have used an aquapanel, not just replastered and tiled over. And as for not sealing the shower screen panel? Additionally, they should not have permenantly fixed the bath panel. It's there for a reason, to give access to the plumbing. Without removing it to see whats happening, the only thing you can do is re grout, re silicone and hope for the best.
I would personally be getting whover did the refurb back to sort out their mess.

to be honest a bit more info is needed, i.e how long was the new plaster on the wall before it was tiled, do you know if the tiler just dot and dabbed the tiles onto the wall, what adhesive was actually used, was flexi grout used, so many things could be causing your problem, personally I would EITHER get in touch with whoever done the renovation OR get the panel off, turn on your shower and look under the bath for signs of water, once you have found the problem, rectifying it is simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back