Is running direction of underlay important

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a massive quote for a living room carpet (with underlay and fitting), from a company, so will instead look to source underlay and carpet myself and get someone else in to fit it.

Couple of underlay questions:

1. Although I'm sure full lengths of underlay are best, is it OK to 'patchwork' areas if only minor?
2. Can underlay run with the carpet 'or' across it (if is doesn't matter, it means no patchwork would be necessary as above)?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Should be ok as long as not loads of joints and you tape them up. What underlays you looking at

I'm looking at 11mm Cloud 9 to go under Cormar Gemini in a living room.

If I can underlay 'across' the room, the carpet will run in the opposite direction meaning I won't need to do any patch-working and I can use full lengths?

I'm hoping carpet height + 11mm underlay is not too high to meet a vinyl plank threshold?

No need for 11mm IMO , which cloud 9 one ?

charlston 9mm is really good or connoisseur 10mm

Sponsored Links
Was looking at Cumulus 11mm, but just pulled up the existing carpet and looks like it is currently Cloud 9 Cirrus 9mm.

Great underlay Cirrus. Was my go to up till this year. I’ve changed to Tredaire now due to pricing.
On the Tredaire ranges look at Chromium

Thanks, I'll check those out - is the 11mm Cloud 9 not advised due to being too thick for my application, or just not necessary due to price, as I may be able to get this at a good price?

I’d say it’s to thick for the grippers. With you having a thickish carpet a high density 9mm would be better

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back