Luxury vinyl tile over floorboards (bathroom)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating my bathroom.

I've already ordered the new bath, basin, toilet, furniture, etc...

Currently the bathroom is carpeted - a pet hate of mine, but that was how it was when we moved in.

I've yet to lift the carpet, but under the bath itself are floorboards.

I don't want to tile for several reasons, but chiefly tiles are too cold without underfloor heating, which is too much agro for me to install. And they would be too thick, especially once heating and insulation is added.

Originally we were going to get a tacky sheet of vinyl from B&Q, but in researching I came across Luxury Vinyl Tile.

Now I'm not 100% set on this, but it is looking favourable, especially the "click" systems.

But I do have a couple of queries seeing as nearly all the info I can find online is American!

First and foremost is underlay.

Once the floorboards are clean and secure, I presume I will need something between them and the tiles.

I see reference to hardboard and ply. I presume an exterior or marine grade ply would be the best as it's a bathroom. But what thickness? Is 4-6mm enough?

One of the LVT products I'm considering is from CarpetRight - https://www.carpetright.co.uk/luxur...urban-tiles-970-black-slate-luxury-vinyl-tile

They also offer an underlayment (with an adhesive layer?) at £10/m² - but only sell it in multiples of 10m², and don't give away much info on their site about it.

If I choose that, do I still need the ply?

Next, I'm a little confused about the adhesive on the underlay on what appears to be a floating floor system... Everything I can find about LVT click systems talks about leaving an expansion gap around the edges, and not fixing through the LVT. But if it's stuck to the underlay, doesn't that defeat the object?

Then there is fitting around objects...

The L shaped bath has a removable panel, all the furniture is fitted with a removable plinth. Where there is nothing against a wall I will be fitting new skirting and I can undercut the door frame and place a T-bar in the threshold.

So tiling up to and under the bath, door, furniture and walls, with or without leaving an expansion gap, is not an issue.

But what about the toilet? Do I template the pan and cut the tiles to fit? Or lay the tiles and install the pan on top?

If I cut to fit, do I leave an expansion gap?

And once everything is installed, I presume I should run a bead of silicon where furniture, bath or skirting meet tile?

Lastly there is a floor mounted radiator. I'm replacing this and am going to use chrome pipe covers. I presume, as the radiator can get quite hot, it would be wise to install collars around the bases of the pipes and leave a good gap between the pipe and the LVT itself?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back