Is sealing grout a waste of time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the bathroom re-tiled. The tiler said his grout is waterproof and there is no need to seal it. I've done a search and there seems to be 4 schools of thought:

1) Grout should always be sealed because it's porus.
2) Grout doesn't need sealing right away and can be left for a while.
3) Grout shouldn't be sealed since if water does get in, it needs to be able to breath and let the water back out.
4) The grout is waterproof enough anyway without being sealed.

Is it worth me sealing the grout?

I also read you should wait around 10 days for your grout to dry out before sealing. Well, I have to say I've gone for weeks without a shower while my bathroom has been refitted, and as I am typing this there is quite a stench coming from my armpits so there is no way I can wait another 10 days. For the same reason I need to try and get a sealer from one of the more well known and easy to access stores such as B&Q, Homebase, etc and I know their offerings for grout and tile sealer is very limited.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
the only waterproof grout there is,is an epoxy grout(is this what your tile fixer used?)..if so then no need to seal.

if he used a cement based grout,these are water resistant/repellent...(but not 100% waterproof),then ideally you will not use the shower for 10-14days ..then you can seal with aquamix/hg/lithofin..etc grout sealers,just follow mfr instructions.

The tiler said his grout is waterproof and there is no need to seal it.
Depends on what you mean by waterproof; the only truly waterproof & impervious adhesive/grout is epoxy based.
1) Grout should always be sealed because it's porus.
If it’s not epoxy, it is porous but it won’t matter if you have the right tile base.
2) Grout doesn't need sealing right away and can be left for a while.
Absolute crap; if it’s good product it won’t need sealing. You need to wait 7-10 days before using the shower but once you start, lime scaled water on there means you’ll be wasting you time & money.
3) Grout shouldn't be sealed since if water does get in, it needs to be able to breath and let the water back out.
Not sure about the logic of the argument but I wouldn’t seal it in the first place; with a sound tile base & quality tiling products it really isn’t necessary.
4) The grout is waterproof enough anyway without being sealed.
Grout & adhesive is only waterproof in the sense it won’t dissolve in water, all will absorb water except epoxy based products but if your tile base is to spec, it won’t matter
Is it worth me sealing the grout?
No
I also read you should wait around 10 days for your grout to dry out before sealing.
It’s advisable to wait 7 -10 days before having a serious shower to give the grout a chance but that’s it! All the rest is crap!

well rich your answers are all based on "tile base"...if the tile fixer has said"my grout is waterproof"..how do we know how he fixed the tiles??..so what if he dot/dab them there will be water ingresss thro...!

Sponsored Links
well rich your answers are all based on "tile base"...if the tile fixer has said"my grout is waterproof"..how do we know how he fixed the tiles??..so what if he dot/dab them there will be water ingresss thro...!
Well my post didn't make allowance for total vankers :LOL:

Thanks for your replies. Grout sealer doesn't seem to be all that widely available which makes me think most people don't do it.

I am not sure what grout he used other than I trust him to use good quality stuff. The adhesive (Bostik Showerproof adhesive) was laid on properly in a bed (not dot and dab) and was put over the top of Aquapanel.

The only problem is I have since used the shower two days later :oops:

We went without one for two months while the bathroom was being refitted, and put up with going to my parents for a shower (which probably sent their blood pressure rising) and had some very smelly days too. For this reason I couldn't really hold out another 7 days :( I hope it will be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back