Is the air ban a load of cobblers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently the eruptions are getting worse from the volcano but several companies are flying their planes around to see what happens. If they relax the whole thing and they all start flying again that would mean this weeks grounding was a total waste of time. Wot a load of plonkas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8628034.stm

Sponsored Links
I suppose that eventually, money (and the offshoot of employment) will override the initial demand for safety.

that article raises a good point..
what about perishable goods that are flown into the country.. ?
or urgent mail and possibly medicins?

some poor bugger on death row somewhere just got a million volts through him because that all important piece of last minute forensic evidence is still sitting in a jiffy bag at the airmail loading dock..
;)

who do the companies sue for loss of earnings when those all important JIT parts from china can't get here in time?

If it was safe to fly - why the ban? Why not get a plane up there first day?

Sponsored Links
I think contingency routes should have been put in place by now.
There is a difference between the 747 that suffered the 4 engine failure over Jakarta, and whats happening now, the aircrew then did not realise what they were flying through, (they probably flew through the most dense ash cloud, unknowingly)

To appreciate the hazard and take necessary measures, is not in my opinion unsafe, it's common sense, some flights could be resumed I am sure.

Wotan

surely they can track the cloud in real time with the weather satelites up there? ir at least track the weather and acurately predict where the ash will be if it's not actually visible as a big cloud..

Did you see the sand blasted plane over Jakarta? The windows looked like a bathroom and the metal was completely bare.

Kinda pulled the rug out from under the BA strike though, didnt it? :D

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

I watched Air Crash Investigation last night about a BA flight that passed through a similar cloud to the one in Iceland. Frightening!

Click Thing

let the managing directors go up in a plane and fly through it, i might feel sfae then. its what the chinese did with their computer technicians who said they had sorted out all the y2k problems on the airlines. put them up in a plane on new years eve. All down to money again

Kinda pulled the rug out from under the BA strike though, didnt it? :D
On a slightly different note, how is the government going to re-coupe the revenue on the vast amounts of Jet A1 fuel thats not being burnt?

Wotan

Kind of selfish but I'm not getting on a plane anytime soon, so I don't care, but if I was I wouldn't! Good time to fly some illegals back home if ask me :eek:

let the managing directors go up in a plane and fly through it, i might feel sfae then. its what the chinese did with their computer technicians who said they had sorted out all the y2k problems on the airlines. put them up in a plane on new years eve. All down to money again

In WW2 before the Pilot signed for a repaired aircraft him and the Senior Airframe Engineer would have a test flight. If they got back in one piece they pilot would sign for it and take it away.

Sponsored Links
Back