is the joist weakened?

I

imamartian

if i have a 100mm x 47mm joist, is there a calculation to work out it's strength? or what weight it can support?

And what if i drill a 10mm hole in the middle of that joist, do i compromise it's strength?

and if i drill two 12.5mm holes above each other, have i reduced the strength of the joist to that of a 50mm joist?

and finally, if i drill one 10mm hole and put a 10mm bolt through, can i expect the strength of the joist to be unaffected?

Sponsored Links
what is it you are trying to achieve it may be easier for an answer.

i thnik your question is well above that of DIY level, thats more something that a structural engineer may know about.

Sponsored Links
ok, to bring it back to a DIY question.... what's the biggest hole i should drill in a 4" joist to run a cable through?

My original question was aimed at the purist.... :rolleyes: lol sorry

i wouldn't personaly drill any hole in a 4" joist? where is this joist located? whats the span? if its only one cable then drill the smallest possible without it being too tight.

what's the biggest hole i should drill in a 4" joist to run a cable through?

25mm hole drilled at the joist centreline and located between 0.25 and 0.4 times the span from the support. Multiple holes should not be less than 3 diameters (centre to centre) apart.

if i have a 100mm x 47mm joist, is there a calculation to work out it's strength? or what weight it can support?
Yes, it's a straightforward number-crunch

And what if i drill a 10mm hole in the middle of that joist, do i compromise it's strength?
No

and if i drill two 12.5mm holes above each other, have i reduced the strength of the joist to that of a 50mm joist?
No, but there are rules for positions and spacing of holes and slots, generally totally ignored by sparkies and plumbers.

and finally, if i drill one 10mm hole and put a 10mm bolt through, can i expect the strength of the joist to be unaffected?
Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back