Is the plumber telling me fibs?

I fitted a tap some months ago. No spacer but the other bits were there. Through worktop though so no spacer needed.

The plumber may have road away on his horse with the bits needed as it doesn't look like they are there to me but these parts do vary.

Sponsored Links
Isolating ball valves are fine if used for what they are intended for - say changing a tap which wont be done very often. Flexibles - seem to be 2 type. One approved and one not but suppose they could cause problems on some water circuits. A sealed tank might explode too.

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses.

So that I have an argument to go back to him with, to atleast try and get some money back, is his argument that "the sink is rotten hence why there is shaking" looking unlikely, and the cause is:

1) getting rid of the copper pipe which was there previously

2) the flexi pipes are far too long

3) no attempt seems to have been made to secure the pipes at the top?

Thanks again for your responses

Why would you only fit one isolating valve?

I suppose cold is Direct mains feed so stopcock would turn it off.

Sponsored Links
1) getting rid of the copper pipe which was there previously

2) the flexi pipes are far too long

3) no attempt seems to have been made to secure the pipes at the top?

2) shorter ones would have looked better.

3) With flexi pipes, there is no point in securing them so far as making the tap more stable.
I cannot see your video, but the description suggests he has not even bothered tightening the clamping nut. Not properly clamped, the tap will not be sealed to the sink, so water will certainly get down there.

Rather than a qualified plumber, I would guess your man is just a rather poor DIY'er.

And a lot have Ben pulled up.on.it via inspections depends how zealous the inspection is

School We were involved with were

in excess of 500 flexis over the entire site
And flexi connections to un vented cylinder expansion vessels

New college I work in has flexi pipes to all tap outlets throughout the whole building. Are you saying they shouldn't be?
I was not there when they were building it but started as they were finishing phase 2, by which time all the general work such as plumbing, electrics, painting etc had been completed. The unisex toilets have troughs as opposed to small basins in the staff and disabled toilets. Does the size of basin have anything to do with it or is it a general rule/law that flexi's shouldn't be fitted in public buildings?

Isolating ball valves are fine if used for what they are intended for - say changing a tap which wont be done very often
They pizz out on fill loops which are used about once a year

WTF is ajohn on about. Stick to Agitating coz you know nothing about plumbing.

New college I work in has flexi pipes to all tap outlets throughout the whole building. Are you saying they shouldn't be?
I was not there when they were building it but started as they were finishing phase 2, by which time all the general work such as plumbing, electrics, painting etc had been completed. The unisex toilets have troughs as opposed to small basins in the staff and disabled toilets. Does the size of basin have anything to do with it oed ecr is it a general rule/law that flexi's shouldn't be fitted in public buildings?

Be that as it may

What I am saying is 2 buildings we are involved with were ripped apart big time by a water inspection flexis were part of it

Your college should also have tmvs on hot hand washing out let's baths and showers

Tvm 2 or 3 standard

Tmv 2 audited Ounce a year

Tmv 3 probably 3 times a year

U should also have some type of legionella checking process or regime in place

Records should be kept of temp. Checks and flushing regime

Tmv 2 are OK for schools

Not for NHS buildings they must be tmv3 standard

Be that as it may

What I am saying is 2 buildings we are involved with were ripped apart big time by a water inspection flexis were part of it

Your college should also have tmvs on hot hand washing out let's baths and showers

Tvm 2 or 3 standard

Tmv 2 audited Ounce a year

Tmv 3 probably 3 times a year

U should also have some type of legionella checking process or regime in place

Records should be kept of temp. Checks and flushing regime

Tmv 2 are OK for schools

Not for NHS buildings they must be tmv3 standard

Also if you fit a tmv3 in a building that only requires tmv2 standards u must check em or audit them to tmv3 standards or they will in theory fail any audit

WTF is ajohn on about. Stick to Agitating coz you know nothing about plumbing.

Wrong on both counts. Agitating - not really I am just careful about where info comes from and unlike some don't see everything as black or white. Loads and loads of things in real terms are shades of grey.

You too don't know WTF about who you are posting about.

I was not there when they were building it but started as they were finishing phase 2, by which time all the general work such as plumbing, electrics, painting etc had been completed. The unisex toilets have troughs as opposed to small basins in the staff and disabled toilets. Does the size of basin have anything to do with it or is it a general rule/law that flexi's shouldn't be fitted in public buildings?

Any hot water should be stored at 60 degs c or above

Or brought up to that temp at some time in a 24 hour period

Particular attention paid to the base of any storage cylinder

Hot water needs to be delivered to a hot tap at a minimum temp with in I think 2 min

Cold water temp. Must not exceed a max temp of I think 20 degs with in a time frame

Temp checks carried out on a reg basis

Flushing regime in place due to un used out let's and stagnation issues

Records kept

Tmvs audited and safety checked at least annually

Kitchen sinks do not neccedsrily. Require tmv protection of a max temp of 41 degs less for small. Children elderly or infirm that's 38 degs max

Thermostatic showers checked for safety shut down

Kitchen sinks in commercial are not designated as hand washing neccedsrily

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back