Is the plumber telling me fibs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post so apologies if this is not the right section! Just looking to get advice from anyone who knows what they are talking about...

I had to get my kitchen tap replaced today due to a leak, and the one the plumber installed is very shakey.

The plumbers excuse basically was "the wood/metal under the tap is rotting, and he was worried to tighten it too much incase it broke".

Alarm bells are ringing with the work he has done, for example the pipe in the sink was left disconnected after he left which I had to put back on myself, so I am not exactly full of confidence!!

I have attached a video and a picture of what I mean.

https://ibb.co/ygTGgb3

Attachments

• received_2843149492595471.jpeg
    received_2843149492595471.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
The rubber tap. Flexis

The legionella police don't like em

Schools

Public buildings

Etc

Sponsored Links
I had to get my kitchen tap replaced today due to a leak, and the one the plumber installed is very shakey.

The plumbers excuse basically was "the wood/metal under the tap is rotting, and he was worried to tighten it too much incase it broke".

Nothing under there, which appears to be rotting. Your original tap was perhaps copper pipe all the way, which helped stabilise. He has used flexi pipes which give no support at all to the tap.

One way to make it more stable, is to cut a piece of material to go under the metal sink, as big as reasonably possible, to fit under the tap clamp, to spread the load. Usually a bit of 6mm ply or similar will do it, cut to fit into the recess.

That RH flexi looks as if it might be twisted in the photo.

Nothing under there, which appears to be rotting. Your original tap was perhaps copper pipe all the way, which helped stabilise. He has used flexi pipes which give no support at all to the tap.

One way to make it more stable, is to cut a piece of material to go under the metal sink, as big as reasonably possible, to fit under the tap clamp, to spread the load. Usually a bit of 6mm ply or similar will do it, cut to fit into the recess.

That RH flexi looks as if it might be twisted in the photo.

A cheap s/s sink will flex quite a lot, but if you look at the vid, the tap is just plain loose, it's rocking about and the skin of the sink isn't moving.
The retaining nut looks like it would be a nightmare to get onto so I guess he just nipped it up with his fingertips. I'm sure a good plumber would have a tool to tighten it properly.

There is usually a clamp of some sort on taps of this general style to prevent rock and seal off the tap. Looks like the rubber is there for that. The clamp might be a couple of screws and a plate that can be seen underneath. If they wont clamp firmly they probably need shortening.

Hard to see what is there from the photo. A close up would be better just showing the connection to the tap and the area above them.

Loads of people use flexible tap connectors.

He didn't fit the extra backing plate which is normally fitted to s/s sinks. Most plumbers always carry a spare one if not included in the tap fitting kit.
1320r-clamping-kit.jpg

Andy

A plumber that doesn't carry a spanner for getting into awkward places? Says it all.
Somewhere, in one of my tool boxes, I have a standard set of 8, 10 and 13mm which are bent at right angles for these kind of situations and I'm not a plumber.

A lot of public buildings have flexi pipes.

And a lot have Ben pulled up.on.it via inspections depends how zealous the inspection is

School We were involved with were

in excess of 500 flexis over the entire site
And flexi connections to un vented cylinder expansion vessels

Pretty certain??????

They are not allowed in hospitals and other NHS buildings ???

Sponsored Links
Back