Is the pump gone or is it sludge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice here please.

I've just fitted a towel rail in the bathroom.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

Now when I switch the heating on I get roasting hot radiators upstairs on the first two radiators from the boiler. The next two along upstairs are warm going but cooler going out, the last upstairs radiator is stone cold as are the three radiators downstairs.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Crying or Very sad

Now a bit of background the downstairs and last radiator upstairs have always been a bit cool since I moved in two years ago, so I've drained the system down and put cleaner in twice and things where a little better for one radiator downstairs and the one upstairs.

The pump seems to be running and I've taken the little cover off the impeller and it does wizz around quite happily.

Oh and one more thing - it hours for the radiators upstairs to get water in when I refilled - the header tank was nice an full but I bled - got a bit of air, then stopped, then a bit if air a bit later and so on until it was ok eventually.

Anyway - what's the opinion out there could it be something with the pump and convection is heating the first radiators upstairs or is sludge my problemjavascript:emoticon(':?:')
Question

Sponsored Links
Sludge is your problem, or, even more likely, rust deposits.javascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

We're going to try closing all the radiators off to make sure the flow are fully activated then open up one radiator at a time to see if this will clear anything.

What's the difference between rust deposits and sludge?

Any other suggestions. If it's sludge/rust deposits whats the remedy. It's an open system.

By the way is there an easy way to tell if the impeller is still actually pumping? It's still turning in the pump.

Sponsored Links
slicedbread said:
The pump seems to be running and I've taken the little cover off the impeller and it does wizz around quite happily.

javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Are you quite sure you have seen the impeller?

I think you have only seen the end of the rotor!

Sludge is rust. But rust is not always sludge.

Tony

slicedbread said:
We're going to try closing all the radiators off to make sure the flow are fully activated then open up one radiator at a time to see if this will clear anything.
It won't "clear" anything, but it might move stuff around. Who knows, it might even shift it all into the boiler heat exchanger.

What's the difference between rust deposits and sludge?
Corrosion in a wet central heating system, containing dissimilar metals such as iron and copper, tends to result in Magnetite, which is one type of iron oxide, and rust, which is a different type. Magnetite has a sludgy composition, but can crystalise and harden. Rust particles seem keen on congregating together and forming impenetrable lumps.

If it's sludge/rust deposits whats the remedy.
An aggressive chemical cleaner and a Magnaclean type of device.

By the way is there an easy way to tell if the impeller is still actually pumping?
Clean the system out and see if all the rads get hot and the boiler doesn't kettle. Frankly, if your system has been dirty for a while then I'd condemn the pump and replace it once all the crud you can get out has been got out.

Agile said:
Sludge is rust. But rust is not always sludge.
Gibberish is nonsense, but nonsense isn't always gibberish.javascript:emoticon(':eek:') Really quite shocked and amazed

Agile said:

I guess that's what I was driving at how can I tell the the impeller is still working and not just the rota?

Tony said:

So next dumb question what is a Magnaclean device?

slicedbread said:
Agile said:

I guess that's what I was driving at how can I tell the the impeller is still working and not just the rota?

You have to take the pump head off and inspect the impeller to see its not blocked with dirt or even fallen off completely!

Tony said:

Softus said that not me!

If it was taking for ever to fill up, I would also think you have a partial blockage in the cold feed to your system from the header tank, where it joins the heating pipe work.

For how cheap they are I would just fit a new pump :rolleyes:

Ah well a text messge from home tells me that the pump just "made a funny noise and stopped going around" So I guess a lunchtime trip to buy a new pump is on.

Now I just need to get a replacment for a Grundfos UPS 15-50 from somwhere in Guildford

Any local plumbers merchant will hold them in stock on the shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back