Is the Quote very high : Moving Flue pipe 700+vat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In continuation of my earlier thread

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/gas-safe-plumbing-firm-recommendation-suffolk-area.337613/

I have got some quotes for this work. The first one which I got is 700 + Vat.

Work Description (Image attached) :-

View media item 50353
1. Re-route Gas boiler (Keston Celsius 25) Flue.
2. Currently going via Living room and then outside into Garden (Image 1).
3. Re-route the Flue in Kitchen and onto outside wall (Image 2)
4. New Flue will be needed as taking current Flue pipe out is not advisable.

The work will also involve providing boxing in the kitchen to hide the pipe.

I feel this is very high, what do experts say here.[/list]

Sponsored Links
Would it not be possible to replace the boiler and relocate to the outside wall?
Your Keston is not worth spending that sort of money on given their poor reliability.

Agree...i am considering that option but not sure about cost..any idea how much can that be?

I have got some quotes for this work. The first one which I got is 700 + Vat.

I feel this is very high,

Compared to what?

What do YOU think is a fair price?

Sponsored Links
Without a site visit, one can only guess at costs. Get your man to quote a boiler change and also get 2 other quotes. Price will vary according to system requirements.

Hi all,

Boxing in of flue pipe can only be done if access panels are fitted to inspect the FULL length of the flue. As of Jan 2013, your boiler will be classified as "At Risk" and any qualified GSR engineer will turn off your boiler ;)

I would suspect that most of the cost is in the boxing and inspection hatches.

If you only wanted the flue moved then perhaps 220 pounds.

The boxing is a handyman/carpenter/decorator job and probably where most of the cost lies.

I would quote for the flue parts and let the customer try to find someone to do the boxing or as a DIY job.

Tony

Thx Tony..

The next verbal quote I got was 300 ...I am still awaiting formal email quote from both of them.

Yes 840 quid is expensive ,the flue for kestons are basically solvent weld plastic pipe so materials no more than 50 quid .
The full length of the flue does not need to be inspectable only the joints .
This whole job even with boxing in is at most a one day job

i finally went for flue vents in the ceiling, which was checked during boiler service.

that seemed to be best option time being...given the fact it's a keston and 8 yrs old..i may have to invest some money for a boiler replacement later on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back