Is the Timer faulty, and so soon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the Timer faulty, and so soon?

Dear all,

I would very grateful for all advice with the new Timer I have.

Last November 2022, British Gas installed a new boiler and a separate new Timer in the kitchen.
The Timer is a ‘Drayton SM2’, with a mechanical dial, with 4 timing tabs.
Up until May this year – 6 months on from the installation – the Timer wasn’t making any noise. Then in May it started clicking/ticking.
This noise has been of varying volume levels and has been constant, but for one day when it stopped making any noise for a few hours. And it’s really irritating.

2 Main Questions:

1 - Should the Timer be making these clicking/ticking sounds so soon into its working life – 6 months after installation?
Do these sounds normally appear at the end of the device’s working life?

2 - Might British Gas try repair the Timer or should I expect them to replace it under the Timer’s year’s warranty?, especially if the Timer is judged as faulty to the people here on this forum.

Knowing what I can justifiably say to British Gas would be really helpful, considering that they will probably not want to be generous.

Thank you.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Up until May this year – 6 months on from the installation – the Timer wasn’t making any noise. Then in May it started clicking/ticking.
This noise has been of varying volume levels and has been constant, but for one day when it stopped making any noise for a few hours. And it’s really irritating.

They are electro-mechanical, so some noise is normally to be expected. If the noise annoys, then a digital version might have been more sensible.

I don’t know why it’s happened after 6 months, but I’ve fitted plenty of Vaillant time clocks and they make a ticking sound, albeit from day 1.

No they wont attempt to repair it .
Phone and say faulty clock noisy and when the guy comes out he will either say that its working as it should or order you a new one and have nice easy job changing it

Sponsored Links
You'll never unhear it now.
So pay to have a digital one fitted, preferably one with load and or weather compensation. It'll save you some heating costs.

Some elderly customers insist on them as they cant work digital ones

I know that, get it a lot.
But progress moves forward and, if they're being driven slowly mad, sitting there with little to do but listen to that incessant ticking, then maybe spend the time learning how to use a digital programmable roomstat! After all, most have worked out how to use the TV remote with all it's bells and whistles these days! ;)

I know that, get it a lot.
But progress moves forward and, if they're being driven slowly mad, sitting there with little to do but listen to that incessant ticking, then maybe spend the time learning how to use a digital programmable roomstat! After all, most have worked out how to use the TV remote with all it's bells and whistles these days! ;)
Have to say I hate on-board plug in digital timers, have yet to see a reliable one, they are absolutely useless

Many thanks for all the replies.

As I struggle to believe the loudness levels are thought acceptable, I will press British Gas for either a replacement or one that is equivalently priced, or even cheaper, but won't potentially tick.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back