Is the wood panelling in my hallway worth keeping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question may be one of taste, but.

I am gutting my 1930's semi and thinking what to do with the wood paneling in the hall way and reaching up the stairs.

1) I'm not sure if it is original, if not is it worth keeping?
My thoughts are:
Will take a while to strip back to wood, sand and paint, so as not that decorative I could replace with new wood at not so much cost and maybe quicker.

There is no cavity wall, so thinking of insulating the exterior walls on the inside, thus will have to take the paneling off on the stairs wall

Could I remove and replace it on the stairs wall or would I most likely damage it too much?

I will be blocking a doorway up so could be hard to keep the paneling looking good in the blocked up section

Finally and very much a taste thing, but is it a bit twee and naff, or would this give character to my house. I am encapsulating the leaded glass in the door as that's nice, just can't decide on the paneling.

So over to you interior design experts...

p.s. if anyone knows of an interior design forum of a quality similar to diynot, that might be helpful (for the more soft furnishings view :)

Sponsored Links
To be honest I like it , it's probably an original feature but was intended to be painted rather than stripped back to the wood. I'd go for a pale ( I hesitate to say magnolia) colour or maybe even white in an eggshell or satin finish to make the hallway bright.
After all is said and done though it's you who has to live with it and if you really don't like it then remove it, but try to take it out carefully as you may be able to sell it .
Nice door by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back