Replace wood panelling with drywall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place I couldn't really decide the best place to put it.

I'm looking to replace wooden panelling with plasterboard, skim and paint and add spindles to the stairs. I have discovered that the panelling is actually the only surface of the wall. The house was built in 1937, and as the panelling has been poorly painted over varnish the paint constantly flakes and also looks dated.

What is the best plan of attack for removing the wooden panelling (and the high level plate shelf) so I am left with paintable walls, and what should I do around the door frames?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Rip it all out and see what you are left with, if there is not enough depth at door frame you can always build out the architrave.

To be honest I would even think about ripping it out I'd clean it up, it's a period feature and much better left in place.
That said if you are intent I have to agree with foxy. Why plaster board? It may be better to bond and skim the walls.

Thanks for your input guys.

As it happens it isn't a period feature as when I was removing the panelling I found edges packed with newspaper which dated back to the late 80s (1980s!).

There is no wall behing the panelling, you can actually see the inner surface of the next room, the panelling made the wall surface attached to the wooden frame in the stud wall. The panelling was made of plywood.

I have ripped out the wood and am in the process of adding plasterboard which I shall then skim - does this sound reasonable?

The architrave is something I may also replace as I'd prefer a wooden finish, matching doors in place of white gloss.

Any other tips welcome, but thanks so far.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input guys.

As it happens it isn't a period feature as when I was removing the panelling I found edges packed with newspaper which dated back to the late 80s (1980s!).

There is no wall behing the panelling, .
That was a `80s repair to the Original panels that had shrunk back :idea: You vandal. I`ll report you to the House detectives ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back