Problems with silicon - its peeling!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone.

Have a question regarding some silicon i did about a year ago.

Its to seal in a bathroom between a plasterboard wall with the usual thin skim and then a water based paint on top, and a wooden panel finished in an water based gloss.

Now the gloss side seems to be holding fine, but the sealant that joins the wall has come away - it almost looks like the tension has pulled the skim/paint surface away from the plaster board.

Is this common on this type of wall surface? Is there a way to prevent it or minimise the effect? Need to redo it and dont want the same thing to happen.

Is there a way i should be first preparing the wall and is there a sealant product that is recommended.

Have included some pics so you have a better idea of what im talking about. They are in my album - im new to this so hopefully you can get to them, if not then let me know?

Thanks for any help, really is appreciated!

Rob

Sponsored Links
The timber will be moving with the change in moisture content/temp of the room so pulls away, plasterboard is a poor medium for silicon.
You will need to remove and replace. Ideally the timber should be siliconed to wall and then the top seal siliconed, giving a double layer of protection as the mositure will have travelled down and caused the expansion/contraction of the timber to worsen.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I have a window frame that has some patches. Again thats plasterboard but this time to upvc frames. Any way of avoiding it in this case?

Sponsored Links
Similar problem, the window frames move with temp variations.Ensure the areas are dust free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back