1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Quartz worktop with silicone - peeling and gap

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by mxo, 15 Oct 2021.

1. mxo

mxo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just had a quartz worktop fitted in a bathroom. The fitter measured beforehand, but clearly did not template properly, as a result, it appears there are gaps along the wall, this was filled with translucent silicone, and silicone all the way along the edge with the wall. Some of the silicone is also already peeling, 3 days later. Photos attached.

Clearly I need to get this resolved, should silicone have even been used and what would the best course of action be?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 15 Oct 2021
  2. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't see any gaps, maybe you're referring to the uneven tiled wall that's not perfectly straight.
    That's why tiling is usually done after installing worktops.
    The silicone shouldn't peel after 3 days, or a year, they probably used a cheap one or a faulty tub (happened to me last year).
    Redoing the silicone is not a big problem, but I would use a dark one similar to the quartz and grout.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s looks like a tape was used to get silicon edge straight, but removed when dry instead of immediately, this leave a loose thin edge, it can be trimmed off, (thin areas)with a scalpel.

5. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The silicone was badly applied.

It was the correct product to use though.

When smoothing silicone, if the outer edges become too thin, they will rip as you run your finger over it days later. Unfortunately, with clear silicone (and white silicone) people think "meh, it looks OK" and don't care about what happens a few days down the line.

Unfortunately, removing badly applied silicone takes much, much longer that it took to apply it. You need very, very sharp blades or chisels.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links