How do I apply a decent silicone bead?

I was always taught that you left the spacer gap (1,2 orc3mm) at all internal joints for silicone, and the way I read the op his tiles are less than perfect , so I suggested getting the grout perfect first, but apologies if this is wrong just my way

Sponsored Links
I was always taught that you left the spacer gap (1,2 orc3mm) at all internal joints for silicone, and the way I read the op his tiles are less than perfect , so I suggested getting the grout perfect first, but apologies if this is wrong just my way
Im not qualified to tell people if they are right or wrong .
I do a lot of research to help me make a better job of what Im doing and if It works ok for me I pass it on so others who haven't had the time may use or bin it to help make a decision .
I found the info in the links opened my eyes to some of the mistakes Id been making for years.
litl

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

I have almost finished renovating the bathroom however the last major obstacle i just cannot conquer is applying the silicone.

I have tried applying a bead, spraying it with a washing up liquid/water mix and smoothing it with my finger, i just couldn't get it straight.

I then tried it with masking tape, when peeling the tape didn't cause a defect that needed going over with the finger (resulting in the above) the bead still had that dreaded ridge along the edges.

Today i have tried using the Cramer Fugi tool, works pretty decent on the 1st pass, however i find if you have to stop to wipe away excess silicone, or to re-go over a defect the silicone starts to sort of pull losing the smooth finish. Even tried the washing up liquid spray over it but no difference.

I have been through tube after tube of silicone trying to do this however i just cannot get a decent finish.

Im using Bal silicone to match the colour of the grout.

Does anybody have any more tips, youtube videos always seem to go over the same techniques I have already tried.

Thanks

i have read the whole thread and i see you havent had a good experience with the german tool
i bought this and it worked well giving me a range of fillets...some pretty small
the excess needs to be wiped off as you go along or you get the messy bit...which by the way will come off with the edge of the nylon tool.

78345.jpg

i think "fingers in the mince"..isnt really the way to go...i used to do that till i did my whole bathroom and decided i needed every tool to do the job
its more expense i know but i still get mine out for the slightest bit of silicone sealing...
ps
this was the tool the kitchen fitter used on my worktops...and i do remember he stopped every now and then to take the excess off the tool with handy wipes, he didnt put an awfully lot on the run and then went over it with a quick whisk to get the fillet to inspection standard...
good luck and i know the aggro those finishing jobs can be
cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back