Siliconing How to obtain the best finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used silicone for many years and still have not yet discovered the best and neatest method to silicone a corner; example a Shower Tray, Bath, Sink Basin.

My Method was to apply the silicone by gun with nozzle cut to the correct size for the job, then wetting my finger in a 50/50 mixture of Fairy Liquid and water carefully, run it down the joint to produce a neat finish; still not neat enough I think.

QUESTION 1) - How do you achieve this; what is your method to avoid spreading Silicone on areas that make cleaning it off difficult ?

Sponsored Links
I've always used masking tape to enable perfectly straight lines and neat little curves around the corners etc. Bit of a pain sticking itsy bitsy bits of tape in the corners but it would just look like a dogs dinner. I dare say if I was doing it day in day out I would get good at it without the tape?

I have used silicone for many years and still have not yet discovered the best and neatest method to silicone a corner; example a Shower Tray, Bath, Sink Basin.

My Method was to apply the silicone by gun with nozzle cut to the correct size for the job, then wetting my finger in a 50/50 mixture of Fairy Liquid and water carefully, run it down the joint to produce a neat finish; still not neat enough I think.

QUESTION 1) - How do you achieve this; what is your method to avoid spreading Silicone on areas that make cleaning it off difficult ?
If you use this method water/wash-up liquid should be sprayed over silicon bead before tooling, the liquid prevents silicon sticking to any further areas .

Sponsored Links
it helps massively using a nozzle cut at the right size for the job and at the right angle, if you put the right amount on continuous without blobs or gaps then its a lot easier to tool up. a cr*ap gun doesnt help either

Those silicon squeegy tools are great, although i still struggled with internal corners :rolleyes:

I usually manage with a wettened finger rather than tools, though I wouldn't claim my work is perfect.

In my opinion, the key thing is to remember that you're putting silicone *in* a gap, rather than *on" a surface. Something I wish my brother-in law-had remembered, when I had to remove all the mouldy blathering from around his bath (with a blade and WD40), in order to replace it tidily with about a quarter the amount of silicone.

Cheers
Richard

I usually manage with a wettened finger rather than tools, though I wouldn't claim my work is perfect.

In my opinion, the key thing is to remember that you're putting silicone *in* a gap, rather than *on" a surface. Something I wish my brother-in law-had remembered, when I had to remove all the mouldy blathering from around his bath (with a blade and WD40), in order to replace it tidily with about a quarter the amount of silicone.

Cheers
Richard

I agree. That's why its good to use masking tape so that you can really push the silicon into the gap without it spreading everywhere. Unfortunately, some tillers insist on grouting between the bath/shower and the wall and also in the corner of a shower but after time it cracks and lets the water in. Much better to have silicon only.

Having got a pro in for sealant a few times in various properties, they seem to have a simple but effective method.

-Clean surface thoroughly and dry off
-Apply a thin bead of sealent
-Spray over the area with a spray bottle with a mixture of water and washing up liquid
-Use finger to remove excess sealant Lots of short removals and wiping on a rag (Not trying to do a whole length in one go), then a final swipe over to make sure its all even.

The guy said his finger is knackered at the end of the day, so he pretty much uses 1 finger on his right hand per day!

The company that fitted our windows used this method for filling the gaps in the plastics quadrants etc. Not sure what silicon they used but it was peeling off after a couple of years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back