Getting silicone neat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to silicone in around a upvc cill. My past attempts have had mixed results, usually I tape either side of the gap leaving a gap the size I want the silicone to finish at.

I'll then apply the silicone, wipe the excess off then remove the tape then smooth the bits the tape raised up which as often as not leaves an untidy edge.

Should I be leaving the tape on till the silicone is dry, if so how do I then remove it as the silicone will be stuck to it?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Tape method works well if silicone is narrow and shallow.
Can be neat.
Better using tools as above if they are suitable, like around bath

Tape can be useful if you struggle to apply an even bead - apply the silicone, tool it so the gap is filled and fairly even then IMMEDIATELY remove it - this will give you a good starting point for tooling it.

Sponsored Links
Search for Charlie DIYte on youtube and watch his video on applying silicone sealant. He has fully researched, and once and for all shown, how to properly and correctly apply silicone sealant, and why the other methods are substandard.

No tape, no fingers, no mess, no bother. He has completely cracked it and gets very neat and long lasting results.

I did a very large 2 storey high window that leaked and which the installation company had been back to (before we bought the house), and supposedly resealed using the finger method - It didn't work, and the frame still leaked. The finger and tape method results in very thin, mechanically weak edges to the seal which are not robust and will eventually lift and allow moisture underneath them.

I stripped it all off and did it all again myself, using Charlie DIYte's preparation and methodology, and the result was a strong, robust and watertight seal.

Also, make sure that you use sealant with the correct modulus for the task - Charlie goes into all that as well.

Last edited:
my other half now does all the silicon, she has redone various rooms ...... She didn't like how i did it....

i purchased the cramer kit 7 when it was on offer, from plumbworld £15 , and she loves using it

so a +1 for the kit ,

we have used a tool from "the range" £1 and that was OK too

You can get a foil masking tape dispenser which is very thin tape and when peeled off at acute angle leaves no lip in the silicon .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back