Is there a problem with my Consumer Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I plugged in my hoover about a week ago and the plug fuse blew. The cable had worn out and the resulting bang left a black mark on the wall beneath the socket.

I was expecting the RCD at the consumer unit to trip but it didn't. Should it have? I tried the test button and it worked fine.

I have attached a photo - I reckon the unit was installed when the house was built c.1997.

Happy New Year.

Sponsored Links
Those are cartridge fuse holders. Most vacuums are class two and you prob had a direct short from line to neutral so the fuse blew. The RCD picks up imbalances between line and neutral.

Sponsored Links
Cartridge fuses are a lot better than MCBs for protection, IMHO, although they are a little less convenient.

The RCD shouldn't have tripped, however at 15 years old the installation could probably do with a Periodic Inspection which would also test the correct functionality of the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back