Replace outside plug socket+problem in mcb in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Moving into a new house and I've two problems.

Problem 1

There is a double outside plug socket fitted that needs replacing. Should I replace it with a socket that has build in rcd's or replace it with a standard non-rcd socket?

Background: The sockets don't have a built in RCD. They look like when the house was re-wired in 2006 the outside socket was added to the kichen socket ring that is protected by an mcb in the consumer unit. Is that why the outside socket has no rcd built in, as the consumer unit is the failsafe?

Problem 2

The bathroom as a spa bath fitted. The bath has it's own mcb in the consumer unit. The mcb was tripped off when we moved in. It is difficult to trip the switch back up and when I manage it the coloured window stays green. There is no power going to the bath. Does that mean the mcb has failed and needs replacing or could it something more in depth?

thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a double outside plug socket fitted that needs replacing. Should I replace it with a socket that has build in rcd's or replace it with a standard non-rcd socket? ... Background: The sockets don't have a built in RCD. They look like when the house was re-wired in 2006 the outside socket was added to the kichen socket ring that is protected by an mcb in the consumer unit. Is that why the outside socket has no rcd built in, as the consumer unit is the failsafe?
It depends on whether the circuit supplying the socket already has RCD protection in your CU (with a 2006 re-wire, it may well have, but not for certain). If it does, then there is no need for an RCD socket - an ordinary non-RCD one (suitable for outside use) would be adequate.
The bathroom as a spa bath fitted. The bath has it's own mcb in the consumer unit. The mcb was tripped off when we moved in. It is difficult to trip the switch back up and when I manage it the coloured window stays green. There is no power going to the bath. Does that mean the mcb has failed and needs replacing or could it something more in depth?
The problem could be with the MCB, the bath or even the wiring. It would need to be looked into by an electrician - we can't guess.

Kind Regards, John

1) A non-RCD socket, as it's on an RCD protected circuit. I recommend MK Masterseal.

2) It could be a failed MCB, or it could be that there's a fault on the circuit which is stopping you from switching it back on. Will go to the On position with the main switch off? What's the rating of the MCB, and the load of the bath?

It depends on whether the circuit supplying the socket already has RCD protection in your CU (with a 2006 re-wire, it may well have, but not for certain). If it does, then there is no need for an RCD socket - an ordinary non-RCD one (suitable for outside use) would be adequate.
Is Specsavers open tomorrow?

I misread this
They look like when the house was re-wired in 2006 the outside socket was added to the kichen socket ring that is protected by an mcb in the consumer unit.
Thought he'd written RCD.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers.

would a picture of my consumer unit help to determine if there is any rcd procection? Just for my own interest. I know when the wife cleaned the grimy kitchen the kitchen electrics kept tripping the mcb and the mains switch (which I may wrongly assume is an rcd) as some water must have got behing the plug sockets.

To be honest on sensible reflection we are planning to rip out the whole kitchen this year so I'm thinking why spend money swapping the socket (it works, it's just the cover hinge that's broke and I use an rcd extension lead with it anyway) when the whole kitchen wiring will be ripped out and I can get a new outside socket fitted by a pro when the kitchen is fitted.

The same leccy can look at the spa bath at the same time as we've not felt the need to use it yet.

would a picture of my consumer unit help to determine if there is any rcd procection? Just for my own interest. I know when the wife cleaned the grimy kitchen the kitchen electrics kept tripping the mcb and the mains switch (which I may wrongly assume is an rcd) as some water must have got behing the plug sockets.
Even though, in view what you go on to say, the question may now be moot, a picture of the CU (showing any labels, if there are any) would certainly be a good start.

Kind Regards, John

Here's my consumer unit attached.

Seems the kitchen sockets and thus the outside plug are protected by an RCCB.

Does that negate the need for an rcd outside socket or would a belt and braces approach be prudent?

Thanks. I was editing it. Slow mobile internet and no broadband..........thanks BT :(

It is a good idea to fit a double pole isolator in the feed to any external socket so that in the event of damage / rain entry the damaged socket can be fully isolated so that the RCD is not tripped due to the external socket fault.

It also can be used to prevent un-authorised use of the external socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back