Is there a simple way to detect an RSJ without drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this so any help will be appreciated.

We recently bought a 1970s mid terrace ex council house.

At some point a double glazed conservatory has been added in front of what was originally a picture window but the original backdoor and kitchen window which had been converted to double glazed units had been left in place. This makes the kitchen very dark.

I have taken the old glazed back door off its hinges and removed the window sections leaving the UPVC frames for both which I intend to simply box in so they can be replaced if required in the future.

Even though we have had a survey done I was surprised to find that as I was working it became apparent that most of the kitchen wall which contains the door and window seem to be plasterboard. (Just by tapping I get a hollow sound).

The other part of this wall has been removed at some point and turned into a wall to ceiling archway from the lounge into the conservatory.

This makes me wonder if there is an RSJ holding this side of the house up!
Or whether the design of these terraced council houses of the period were constructed so share the load.

Having had a look at neighbours back walls they have the same layout.
Kitchen side = Back door, kitchen window, thin section of brickwork (I assume this as they are now all covered by plastic facia).
Lounge side = a large picture window.

So I was hoping there might be a simple test for an steel of some kind like the gizmo I use to find electric wires and pipes embedded in walls.

There are no cracks and the current layout is not new so I am not too worried about this just interested to find out what people think I should do.

Nothing found doing a local planning search.

Thanks for looking,
Bern

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the house may be timber frame on the inner skin, maybe brick-clad on the outer. If that's the case, there will be a lintel supporting the outer skin - probably not an rsj, but more likely some cold-formed steel affair.

Tony,

Thank you for this information.
I will bear it in mind as I start to make slight changes. (Nothing structural).

Your reply is very much appreciated,

Bern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back