Opening in Side wall of 1930 House. Rsj size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1930 end of terrace house. Solid wall 9" no cavity. I have a side space on the corner of plot which leads straight to garden at the back. Would like to merge this in the house by adding a small study and also making it part of kitchen.

I would like to make an door opening from the front side wall to the study,
and remove the rear side wall to make kitchen wider.

What would be the rsj sizes please.

Please do not blast me for asking Rsj size here as there are a few genuine members here who knows their stuff and I am happy to go by their advice.

Sponsored Links
For your door, you'd need concrete lintels.

As for removing the wall- are we talking a 1,500 opening or a 5,500 opening?

As above a couple of concrete lintels will do it,
they're about a tenner each and they have them in wicks etc.

They're only really there o support a triangle of bricks in those solid old walls.

I'm assuming it is a single door opening?
Any pictures?

(strictly speaking you also should have BR for the opening and adjoining new room, incase that kind of thing concerns you.)

Thanks guys. Its single door opening as you enter the house.

For kitchen i believe its 5.5metre long wall so intenting to remove whole of this wall as there will be a w/c downstairs as well.

So basically a small study as you enter on the right.
A W/c by the stairs also in the side space and kitchen wall gone making it a larger kitchen and extending it by 2metre outside.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well if your taking out an entire wall yes you'll want a whacking great steel and sturdier columns either side.
It's not worth ****ing about with this as DIY, you want correctly certified calculations and an I beam, factor a grand for your opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back