Is there a standard for self tapping screws.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered some countersunk self tapping stainless screws from eBay and for the same identity number, they are thinner than Spax wood screws, hence is there a universal standard for screws or do different manufacturers use a different standard, or is there a different standard for different types of screws?

Sponsored Links
There was BS.4174:1972, but the Chinese don't always seem to work to it...

Sometimes better to buy from engineer's merchants if you crave consistency, but it will probably cost more

Thanks JandK, yeah, I never thought, they are bound to be chinese as they are vey reasonably priced!

they are thinner than Spax wood screws,
Did they say they were 4mm, 'equivalent' to No8 screws? (which is wrong BTW)
No8 screws have a nominal OD of 4.17mm, but will always read slightly less with calipers, because the edges of the threads are slightly rounded. So, a 4mm metric screw will read about 3.9mm with calipers.

Sponsored Links
I didn’t have to measure the diameter, the stainless ones are about 3/4 of the diameter of the Spax!

My experience of Chinese manufactured self-tappers, (small range from 3mm to 6mm), is they are rubbish.
They start to drive into the pilot hole then the heads strip out, (even at slow speed or by hand screwdriver), or they simply snap as they start to cut the thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back