Is there a way to repair a smashed quarry tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lifted some laminate flooring in a small vestibule (2 x 2m) to reveal some grubby unglazed quarry tiles. With a bit of effort I reckon they will scrub up nicely but two of the tiles look like they've been hit with a hammer and, for want of a better expression, have a smashed crater in their middles.

This is the entrance to the entrance hall and will be used to store coats and shoes. Perfection is not required but is there a way of tidying everything up. The tiles are towards the edges rather than in a direct path through to the hall. Could I fill said craters with some cement or tile grout and then use some Tableau red tile polish (which describes itself, inter alia, as "also suitable for giving colour and lustre to brickwork and unsealed concrete").

Out of interest do I seal first and then polish or polish and then seal or is sealing unnecessary. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
can you you not try find a somewhere near match for the tile?
Restoration yard perhaps!
Alternatively it could be an idea to make up a concrete mix and add colouring (dyes/pigments) to it, also adding a mixture of both white and grey cement will help to get the colour and tone somewhere near.
It would be worth doing a few test mixes first, because the mix dries the colour and tone will lighten.
The concrete would then need to be smoothed and polished off before sealing.
When sealing quarry tiles often linseed oil is used, this will need a few application though, you can buy sealers though.
Recommended practice is to buy the sealer and cleaner from the same manufacturer, as they should be combatiable against each other and this will hopefully prevent the cleaner from removing any seals in the near future.
It is highly unlikely you will ever get an exact match with a repair but if you can't find the tiles worth a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back