Is There a Worklessness Crisis?

i think part off the problem was government encouraging those on benefits to go self employed with grants and help opening inefficient business models with say dog walking /dog grooming or other very very hard to make work models that almost enslave the owner to work for less than minimum wage for excessive hours for perhaps 3 or 4 year to try and make it work before failing so off the unemployment statistics but no real advance iff anything more and more in debt so no actual real growth to the economy

Sorry All, but reading your post felt like this -

;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My doc told me years ago that I would qualify as unable to work - implication being that I should go for benefit even though I wasn't seeking work.
That's the normal, she said.
Makes my skin crawl, I said.

Most people are grateful to get it, she said.
Not sure if I was supposed to feel guilty. at that point.

All very well, but I don't know how people survive on these types of benefits. Don't think it would even pay my utilities.

My doc told me years ago that I would qualify as unable to work - implication being that I should go for benefit even though I wasn't seeking work.
That's the normal, she said.
Makes my skin crawl, I said

That's an interesting moral dilemma. Did you stop working because of poor health?

i think part off the problem was government encouraging those on benefits to go self employed with grants and help opening inefficient business models with say dog walking /dog grooming or other very very hard to make work models that almost enslave the owner to work for less than minimum wage for excessive hours for perhaps 3 or 4 year to try and make it work before failing so off the unemployment statistics but no real advance iff anything more and more in debt so no actual real growth to the economy

One of the big changes with the move from Tax Credits to Universal Credit is that you can't do that anymore. These self-employed claimants are the last ones to be moved over, but I think it's starting now.

Sponsored Links
Actually it was the exaggerated scaremongering about the 'virus' that did that...

And the mental health issues that it has caused has exasperated the problems many people now face!

The only ones not affected so much are those who didn't get taken in by all the irrational 'controls' ;)
Made you unpack that 'container of furniture' and cancel your 'one way tickets' for you and your 'family' to your 'partners' country, didn’t it?

There was something in the media about this a few weeks back, I'm too lazy to try and find the source. Referred to young people who don't work, have no intention of working, and share hints & tips via YT channels, WhatsApp etc on how to get as many benefits as possible to fund their non working lifestyle. I think there's even a name that's been given to this 'movement.'

Not sure how many are adopting this way of life so can't comment if it's a crisis or contributing to one.

I've always thought with things like benefits there must be a percentage (of any age) that simply don't want to work. Might be a small percentage but the law of averages and all that. However when folk try to suggest such a thing these days (e.g. on BBC QT) they get shouted down as being an ist. According to the do-gooders, 100% of people on benefits would rather work if they could.

Bullsh1t.

I've always thought with things like benefits there must be a percentage (of any age) that simply don't want to work. Might be a small percentage but the law of averages and all that. However when folk try to suggest such a thing these days (e.g. on BBC QT) they get shouted down as being an ist. According to the do-gooders, 100% of people on benefits would rather work if they could.
I disagree

what happens is that there are people mostly on the right of politics who stereotype people no benefits as scroungers

they never qualify what percentage.........they just want to lump everybody on benefits as a scroungers

of course there is a percentage who just dont want to work, the feckless: but its not all of them by any means

There was something in the media about this a few weeks back, I'm too lazy to try and find the source. Referred to young people who don't work, have no intention of working, and share hints & tips via YT channels, WhatsApp etc on how to get as many benefits as possible to fund their non working lifestyle. I think there's even a name that's been given to this 'movement.'

Not sure how many are adopting this way of life so can't comment if it's a crisis or contributing to one.

Bullsh1t.
I think de industrialisation and lowering of taxes under Maggie created opportunities for self employment, but many more didn’t have any work and this contributed to the so called benefits culture. People would prefer living on benefits and maybe making a bit of money on the side legally or otherwise. It was their votes that tipped the balance on brexhit referendum result, but the vacancies that resulted haven’t been filled. So we left the eu on the back of discontent with foreign workers and people see that as a plus.

It's a very poor life for a young single person on benefits. A room in a bedsit and £70 per week to live on.

So some people don't need benefits. Usually relates to unemployment. Can apply to sickness. Catching them out costs money. Generally the feeling has been that there is so little in practice that trying to catch all would cost more than putting up with it.

Sickness. The Tory had the idea of checking all via contracting the job out. You might recollect it didn't work out as the contractors didn't come to sensible decisions. It needs a lot of medical people to do that.

Latest idea. Pass have to see how it works out. Giving someone job advice doesn't mean that the person will get the suggested job type or are suitable for it. Seems some medical aspects creep in again. £7b going into that over several years and not that many people expected to go through some aspects of it each year. The concentration will probably be job advice - probably the cheap part of the idea.

Apprentices. I know of one recent, trade type that was dismissed as soon as he qualified for the full rate. Exams etc ok. Even old style indentured ones were misused by some companies. Those would typically last for 4 years but should produce an employable person at the end. Qualifications might take longer - depending what level was reached. If employed at end companies would pay for the further education. In practice all companies got useful work out of apprentices as soon as they could.

Degrees. It's not unusual for people with those to take a surprisingly long to get a real and suitable job. Then there is the debt associated with it,

I disagree

what happens is that there are people mostly on the right of politics who stereotype people no benefits as scroungers

they never qualify what percentage.........they just want to lump everybody on benefits as a scroungers

of course there is a percentage who just dont want to work, the feckless: but its not all of them by any means
Eh?

So emmm, you agree with me then ;)

Eh?

So emmm, you agree with me then ;)
odd how you missed out this bit:

However when folk try to suggest such a thing these days (e.g. on BBC QT) they get shouted down as being an ist. According to the do-gooders, 100% of people on benefits would rather work if they could.
I disagree

as its not true

According to the do-gooders, 100% of people on benefits would rather work if they could.
you are welcome to provide the evidence

It is an inflexible system designed to punish people.

Carers threatened with prosecution over minor breaches of UK benefit rules​

Ordinary Brits who earn a few quid over the limit are hounded and treated as public enemy no1.
Meanwhile organised criminals loot the benefit system for over 4 years without being detected.
Millions sent abroad to build Gypsy mansions in Eastern Europe.
The last time it was Romanian Gypsies looting housing benefits to the tune of 5 million , it wouldn't be so bad if they spent their stolen money in the UK and helped the local economy but most of it ends up abroad.

Last edited:
It's a very poor life for a young single person on benefits. A room in a bedsit and £70 per week to live on.
lol the way some reply to things in this forum, reminds me of good old Pat Ex.

Me: I really enjoyed running up Ben Nevis at the weekend, great fun.
Forum Member: Do you not realise 5 people a year injure themselves doing that very thing?!?

My point related to a group of people that proactively look for ways not to work. They have no intention of working. They seeketh ways to noteth worketh.

That point, the point I have made in the brief paragraph directly above, has diddly squat to do with how comfortably people can or can't live on benefits.

It genuinely makes me laugh that, when referring to a large group of people, the assertion is made that 100% of those in said group fall into the same camp. For example those who assert 100% of able bodied people on benefits would rather work. Ha Ha HAaaaaa.

lol the way some reply to things in this forum, reminds me of good old Pat Ex.

Me: I really enjoyed running up Ben Nevis at the weekend, great fun.
Forum Member: Do you not realise 5 people a year injure themselves doing that very thing?!?

My point related to a group of people that proactively look for ways not to work. They have no intention of working. They seeketh ways to noteth worketh.

That point, the point I have made in the brief paragraph directly above, has diddly squat to do with how comfortably people can or can't live on benefits.

It genuinely makes me laugh that, when referring to a large group of people, the assertion is made that 100% of those in said group fall into the same camp. For example those who assert 100% of able bodied people on benefits would rather work. Ha Ha HAaaaaa.

After reading both your posts, I am still struggling to understand the point you are making.

And I am totally bemused by your (over) reaction to my reply. I was simply adding to the discussion by pointing out what these young people might receive.

Sponsored Links
Back