Is there an easier way to Sister in new joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

So my structural engineer has advised me to sister in new deeper joists as part of the loft conversion - no problem there, but there are noggins between the existing joists...

I am absolutely certain they are not there for any structural reason - there are two lots, ones which are there for ceiling roses and the electrical junction boxes to sit on (not needed any more, as the house is being re-wired)

The other lot are there for something to nail the plasterboard onto - they are directly over where the gyproc sheets meet, and the sheets are nailed to them..

So, after cutting the buggers with a jigsaw (and going through the plasterboard in the process once or twice), I'm wondering if there are any tricks of the trade for getting the blasted things out?

At the moment, I am cutting through them twice, claw hammering the middle bit out, prying the ends off, then hammering the exposed nails back through the joists and clawing them out... it's effective, but it's a hell of pullaver...

So, how do the Pros do this? or do they just tough it out?

Sponsored Links
If there aren't too many of them then why not notch the new joists over the noggins, or slot the noggins to run the new joists through. I'm guessing they would only be 50mm high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back