Is there an easy way to lift laminate to get to plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a prob with my central heating and need to find out where the heating circuit is. Is there an easy way to lift laminate flooring without shafting it for good, to get to the floorboards underneath and investigate?

Sponsored Links
What is the problem with your Central Heating? Only take thr floor up as a last resort... you may be able to sort it without drastic floor removing.

Think of the anguish having taken the floor up to find you didn't need to.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate your interest in my problem - thanks :)

Basically, it's a single-pipe central heating system (I know, not that good, but it's all I have in the absence of funds to replace it) and there's a blockage somewhere in the C/H circuit (the H/W circuit works okay). I believe there's a blockage because the boiler thermostat keeps popping only a few mins of turning on the heating, but it's fine with the H/W. This suggests to me the circuit between the boiler, pump and 22mm H/W, then return, is fine. I plan to remove one rad at a time and check flow from the tails into a bucket via rudimentary hose device. When I get to a poor flow, I'm planning to assume the blockage is "upstream" from there.

Hope that makes sense.

The tails on a one-pipe system are not necessarily a good measure of the flow through the single pipe. The tails are fed primarily by convection of hot water at the inlet and colder water at the outlet, not by a pressure differential between the two tails (as with a two pipe system). If a significant blockage was between the two tails then you might get water spurting out at an abnormal rate from the inlet tail, but what are the odds of that?

Oh bug**r - I was hoping that would be a good way to find where the blockage was seated. Any ideas how I might find out otherwise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back