Is there an X10 type system that will.....

No - the amazing thing is that people are totally ignoring the fact that after over 40 years of developments and new technology there are much better systems available and are still installing X10 from scratch.

I am looking at some sort or automation type set up at home and X10 seems to be a fairly cheap and easy way of installing.

What other technologies have been developed since then that dont require extra wiring or rf devices?

I have seen legrands arteor system and crestron and similar but really tey are high end gadgets for mansions and penthouses, where the cost of them wont really add any value to my 4 bed semi.

Sorry to hijack the post but what are the other alternatives to low cost home automation?

Sponsored Links
Thai wife.
Order her about.

FFS X10 is the cheapest. Use RF and no extra cables.

Such as?? Please add some value to this thread and enlighten us.

I asked for a system along the lines of X10 as that's the main type I'd heard of, but if there is a a better system I'd like to hear about it.
I'm not into it at all - I just know that X10 is old, slow, and unreliable, and that there are better alternatives.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=home+automation+protocols

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=home+automation+systems

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=x10+alternatives

Sponsored Links
No - the amazing thing is that people are totally ignoring the fact that after over 40 years of developments and new technology there are much better systems available and are still installing X10 from scratch.

I have to comment on that. Often the "much better system" is only "better" in the words of the marketing people.

It is said to be "much better" only because it has had more and often unnecessary functions added to it in order to make it more alluring to the dumb customers.

Old and well proven systems and equipment that do the necessary tasks are perfectly acceptable to the sensible person who knows what they need and is not easily entrapped by commission driven salespeople who get more commission on selling more features than the customer needs.

I have found inline modules fine, but not the PIR/dusk-dawn nor the switch modules.

If I have understood correctly then you want a PIR(inc dusk/dawn) sensor to switch on soffit lights? You also want to be able to switch them on with a manual (existing) switch? You want to use X10.

If you want to use X10 then you can just use a standard PIR(incl dusk/dawn) and wire the switched live output to an X10 micro module. The micro module will then send the PIRs "light on" signal to the X10 receiver(s) (appliance modules are best) via the soffit light wiring. Then you need to put a micro module in the back of the existing switch (may need to dig some of the wall out) Then just setup the "house codes" and it will work.

I agree with other comments that X10 is old technology and it's a bit slow to react (about 2 seconds per operation and you have to wait about 3 seconds before sending multiple commands otherwise they will not be "seen"- not that you need to do that) but for a domestic job like your it should work well. There are better wired/wireless technologies but I don't know of any that use the mains born signalling/modulation such as that of X10 (I suppose it would be X10 if it did that??)

You will find all components except the standard PIR sensor on the Marmitek site. If this is what you want them come back to me and I will post the parts list for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back